Mobile HGV Mechanic Starting Up

@cav551 Thank you for all your advice.

He is 29. He’s been working in the UK for the past 2 years, on HGVs. He has worked with cars and motorbikes for the past 10. He is fluent in spoken and written English. I am the one enquiring, because I want to help him of course. Research and talking to people is my area of expertise, seeing I work in comms :slight_smile:

You are very right. Experience is necessary and talent can only take you so far. A good understanding of the trade, the market, challenges, opportunities, the ins and outs, the culture, the people etc etc. I know all this, hence why I infiltrated your forum :wink: . To more or less compensate for the years of experience with some solid research. The internet and the magazines can only take you so far and I just wanted to ask some real human beings that have been doing this for a long time.

And to pre-empt your next question which I’ll assume to be “why doesn’t he talk to people himself”, he’s not keen to discuss leaving his employer / setting up a new business face to face with the people he interacts locally on a daily basis. It’s a small circle and not everyone is happy to help, or at least keep quiet.

Once again I am very grateful for all your help.

P.S. Has the snow reached down in Kent yet?