Dhl Thornton's at Langley mill

Hi, does anyone know why so many agencies keep advertising for drivers there? The pay doesn’t seem too bad so must be something else

Handball?

Could be handball, workload, state of the delivery points. Anything really.

Could even be they don’t take direct, only via agency so you can work while being interviewed over 13 weeks.

I used to work for Thorntons a few years ago when DHL were given the transport and warehousing.

A lot of the work that you will see advertised will be the retail deliveries to stores some class 1 some class 2.some of this may have changed but this is how it was,
A lot of handball involved on the retail runs, putting stock away in the store rooms and removing the waste packaging as a back load back to the yard. The commercial side is a lot of deliveries to RDCsetc with packaging and ingredients collections which go to the factory at Alfreton.
Some of the drivers shuttle trailers that are loaded at the manufacturing side in alfreton up to Langley mill and then return with empty trailers.

I still know atleast 1 of the shunters there so any questions you’ve got I can try and ask him for you

We don’t have full time vacancies that I know of currently.

During peak for Xmas we ramp up with shed loads of extra units trailers and rigids hence agency always after drivers. Come Jan it will go back to our normal staff and all the extra vehicles will be de hired. Then again we ramp up for Easter and go though the same process rinse and repeat every year.

We also do Ferrero since they move it all to us from Daventry so we do have a larger workload now.

Retail is hard graft as has been mentioned in rigids, handballing the pallets up stairs, down stairs and into stock rooms and stacking it all labels facing out. We have a couple of trailers for some shop runs but they are usually done by certain drivers on nights out.

The rest is all depot to depot for consol loads so another DHL site who then deliver the loads.

The rest is RDC’s and the usual suspects along with collecting raw materials, butter, sugar etc and packaging etc.

It’s not a bad place to work if you don’t mind the work, your left mostly to get on with it, not constantly hassled and most runs are pretty easy and straight forward.

NickE92:
I used to work for Thorntons a few years ago when DHL were given the transport and warehousing.

A lot of the work that you will see advertised will be the retail deliveries to stores some class 1 some class 2.some of this may have changed but this is how it was,
A lot of handball involved on the retail runs, putting stock away in the store rooms and removing the waste packaging as a back load back to the yard. The commercial side is a lot of deliveries to RDCsetc with packaging and ingredients collections which go to the factory at Alfreton.
Some of the drivers shuttle trailers that are loaded at the manufacturing side in alfreton up to Langley mill and then return with empty trailers.

I still know atleast 1 of the shunters there so any questions you’ve got I can try and ask him for you

Des, Chris, Andy or Steve? I’ll guess at one of them.

As it was a few years ago I’m guessing the Alfreton shunters not any at Langley.

I’m in the lovely Iveco shunt wagon as we speak.

You poor ■■■■■■■ mate haha

Still know Chris. Uncle Des was a legend opposite Steve and Andy somehow manages to work opposite Chris. Patience of a saint :laughing:

Oh how I Miss Bay 12 and never ever having enough empty trailers lol

NickE92:
You poor [zb] mate haha

Still know Chris. Uncle Des was a legend opposite Steve and Andy somehow manages to work opposite Chris. Patience of a saint [emoji38]

Not been too bad today only moved around 14 trailers so far. Although I shouldn’t have said that.

It’s all Chris fault anyway I’m stuck here going and having a car accident and being off sick ■■■■■■. Lol

Better than 60-70 trailer and rigid moves I did per night at Langley the other week.

Andy was glad it was me shunting here today as they stick anyone and everyone on it at the moment.

He’s been telling me all about it mate. He’s probably just set it up for some time off at Christmas the slack penfold ■■■■■■■ :smiley:

Can always remeber Des putting the unit into the soft gravel at the back of Bay 12 and beaching it lol Barry Brooks to the rescue in one of the 12 plate Volvos lol

Was a good Craic on nights when Watson was shutting on nights. We certain my got a good break in even though the canteen nearly killed him many times lol

NickE92:
You poor [zb] mate haha

Still know Chris. Uncle Des was a legend opposite Steve and Andy somehow manages to work opposite Chris. Patience of a saint [emoji38]

Bay 12 has all changed now, and phase 4 was the bugger by the gatehouse, new road going ground from phase 4 to bay 12 now and a lot more room around there.

He’d kill me for telling you but I know a guy who ripped off a trailer mud guard on one of those raw materials stand trailers helping us refuel it as we can’t be arsed to use the hand pump :smiley:

NickE92:
He’s been telling me all about it mate. He’s probably just set it up for some time off at Christmas the slack penfold [zb] :smiley:

Can always remeber Des putting the unit into the soft gravel at the back of Bay 12 and beaching it lol Barry Brooks to the rescue in one of the 12 plate Volvos lol

Was a good Craic on nights when Watson was shutting on nights. We certain my got a good break in even though the canteen nearly killed him many times lol

Haha I’m sat here waiting Bazza to come and take a trailer of bay 12 as I’ve already picked an empty up ad I was told he was on his way. He’s having a bloody break up the road the sod. Still got grim reaper following him around.

Penfold lol I have heard that before and agree he does look like Penfold.

To be fair a lot has changed since Ferrero took over Thorntons. And things still keep changing.

Haha I’m sat here waiting Bazza to come and take a trailer of bay 12 as I’ve already picked an empty up ad I was told he was on his way. He’s having a bloody break up the road the sod. Still got grim reaper following him around.

To be fair a lot has changed since Ferrero took over Thorntons. And things still keep changing.

Baz Will be a while, probably sticking his teeth back in :grimacing:

NickE92:

Baz Will be a while, probably sticking his teeth back in :grimacing:

Doesn’t wear them anymore hasn’t for ages got sick and tired of them. Just gums everything to death now to eat bless him lol