Tramping vs days vs nights

slowlane:

eagerbeaver:
Some interesting replies so far…

I am basically bone idle and struggle to get my arse out of bed. 6am starts at my new job with an occasional 5am start which nearly shuts my body down :neutral_face:

Money (obviously [emoji38] ) seems to be a key player so far in this thread, but location is popping up too. Seems like night work is far more popular than I thought :open_mouth: Who knew?

Nights makes sense regarding money & traffic. You lads who are doing 5/3 then 5/2 or 4/4 shifts etc, did most of you choose this pattern or was that how the job came? Also, do your other halves accommodate their jobs around yours, or do you end up with 3 days in the middle of the week on your own, and what do you go and do (fishing/doing the house up etc) ?

I had the choice of M-F, 4/4 or 5/2-5/3 and chose the latter to get more time off as well as fancying working some weekends without spending longer at work. I started out on M-F and found that I felt like I was always working, 4/4 doesn’t appeal because of the sharing aspect and whilst my truck goes out without me on this shift, I’ve settled on an oppo who doesn’t smoke, doesn’t leave the drivers seat and always leaves her tank and strap lockers full. I’d prefer the truck to be mine, but I feel like I’ve got a good compromise situation.

Not having kids makes that side of things easy, and my partner and I seem to figure out how to make the odd schedule work for us. I quite like being home in the week to cook for her when she gets home, and since she does 38hrs a week for a decent chunk more than I earn, she gets home early anyway!

I’m so bone idle, my spirit animal surely is a cat, so most of my time off is spent fairly horizontal!

The biggest downside of this shift pattern is that I occasionally miss get togethers with friends, but for big ones I’ll take time off.

Once I’ve built up more experience, I’m going to turn my hand to Euro work - as that’s really what I got into driving to do. I also need to have a crack at Canada and USA before I hang up the keys. Between the two of us, we will figure out how to make our life together work with it - she’s got her own dreams and must dos too. It could well turn out that I end up driving in the States for 18 months while she backpacks around the world, or something completely different!

Wife can go on USA harvest with you for 8/10months.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk