Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Bit off piste I know but I find this staggering, Buzzer.

I used to give to UNICEF Buzzer, but I stopped when I read a similar list to this and that they spent a fortune on a report on child poverty in the U.K. Which implied that Britain was behind third world countries. It seemed like political statement to me rather than something to help kids. Around about then I read about the Salvation Army CEO not receiving more than anyone else employed there:

“On the flip side, of the sixty some odd “charities” researched, the lowest paid President/C.E.O/Commissioner was The Salvation Army’s Commissioner Todd Bassett who receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing the $2 billion dollar organisation.”

So , in addition to the ‘boxes for Romania’, which my wife has been involved with for a few years, taking shoe boxes full of crayons, small toys, scarves and gloves etc. for Christmas for children there, that’s where my charity money goes nowadays.

I never actually got to Romania on the M/E run, and of course it was worse back in the 1970s, but Geoff and Ginger, from the North East, said that the poverty they saw there meant they collected clothes when they were home and gave them away as they passed through the villages, to tears of joy from the recipients.

On another note, drove back to Barrow from Bicester yesterday and passed an immaculate Davies lorry heading north on the M40 - no fly swatter in the window!

John.