Class one salary 27k

Is this acceptable for my first class one job ? Passed class 1, 6 weeks ago and been on agency since passing class 2 at beginning of year. I will be doing days 8-5 average in class 1, occasionally dropping into ridgids when needed and the odd 12 hr day here and there on long distance trunks

If your happy with that then it’s good enough…
Sleeping in your own bed every night is worth 5k a year imo,you could prob push to the other side of 30K tramping but I’d be happy with 27K and not having to sleep in a lorry.

Stinka:
Is this acceptable for my first class one job ? Passed class 1, 6 weeks ago and been on agency since passing class 2 at beginning of year. I will be doing days 8-5 average in class 1, occasionally dropping into ridgids when needed and the odd 12 hr day here and there on long distance trunks

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Report back in a month and tell us how it really was!

TiredAndEmotional:

Stinka:

I’ve already done about 3 months total for them this year in odd weeks, I know how they work

I’ve worked for perhaps 20 different companies in all areas of transport this year and this company was the best to work for

Sounds tempting as a first Class 1 job in my view. I guess it depends where in the country you are.
Is it just driving or fairly physical work like food distrubution?

I would be balancing that wage with:
PAYE/Limited Company
How much (paid?) holiday do you get
Are you just working week days or weekends too
How’s the pension? (If you plan to be there long term)
The distance/time to commute might be a factor too.

You could stick it out 2 years and move on once you have that magic 2 years experience…

I have voiced my opinion on the wages in the UK many times. 27k is a disgustingly low wage. I have been out of the country for 18 years and before I left 27k would have been a low wage, The last year I worked for Fed Ex in the UK, 1994 I made more than that, the last job I did in the UK I made over 35K
I make $80k a year here which at tonight’s exchange rate is 60k and even I find it hard to get by. How on earth you men get along on such poor pay I will never understand ?

Pat Hasler:
I have voiced my opinion on the wages in the UK many times. 27k is a disgustingly low wage. I have been out of the country for 18 years and before I left 27k would have been a low wage, The last year I worked for Fed Ex in the UK, 1994 I made more than that, the last job I did in the UK I made over 35K
I make $80k a year here which at tonight’s exchange rate is 60k and even I find it hard to get by. How on earth you men get along on such poor pay I will never understand ?

I make around £40k incl bonuses and o/t (trunking), could have been 50k at Sainsbury’s, but job hasn’t clicked with me. Mrs makes around 30k, so in total around 70k, for UK it’s fine. You could earn 1mil and complain you don’t earn enough.

If £27000 enough for you to live on,getting experience is the most important thing when you just passed your test. If the company willing to make the effort to help train you up I think its worth it. When you done a year or so you can always move on for a better paid job.

Stinka:

TiredAndEmotional:

Stinka:

I’ve already done about 3 months total for them this year in odd weeks, I know how they work

I’ve worked for perhaps 20 different companies in all areas of transport this year and this company was the best to work for

You’ve been doing it on an agency basis so not the same as a regular employee. It’s reasonable for a first job if you’re working the hours as stated. Give it a trial and see if things change. They often do.

There’s always somebody, who pipes up, I earn more than that, and does that include nights out, hope your on paye, i wouldn’t get out of bed for that.
We’ll who gives a toss, the guy is happy earning money to do what he needs, and maybe you do earn more, we’ll good luck to you.

remember the old saying; “no experience no job, no job no experience”. Once you got experience you will find a load of doors open. Go for it :slight_smile:

So long as you don’t have to use POA, and you don’t go near the 48 hour average, and continue to work around 40 hours a week it isn’t too bad.
It works out at a shade under £13 an hour, which isn’t a bad weekday rate in the grand scheme of things, and a hell of a lot better than many hourly paid hire and reward are offering, where long hours and night out pay make the top line sound better.

If you can manage on the gross and the job is reasonable, and more importantly appears to be secure for the coming downturn…which i believe may have started already because agency lads aint as flat out or earning the fortunes as might have been expected given the supposed shortage…then so long as the hours stay about the same by all means carry on, you seem to like it which is important.

Just keep an diary of your hours and do the calculation every month, ie divide your pay by the number of hours worked, if the rate drops because the hours have gradually increased then have another think.
If your hours increased to 48 you’d be on about £10.80 an hour or thereabouts by my back of ■■■ packet calcs.

Pat Hasler:

For a matter of interest, - what is it that makes it hard to get by on $80k? I understand that food prices are pretty cheap and all… :question:

Im on £23,525 a year class 1. 4 on 4 off rolling, 20 days holiday. Average 48 hours a week so works out at £128.90 per shift. If im tramping out I get £23 and whatever the parking costs.

Im happy with that as I effectively only work 161/162 days per year. I can do overtime at £170 per shift.

Works great for me as it covers all the bills and I get 4 days off to spend with the gaffa and the newborn.

Pat Hasler:

To be fair pat, I was only on 40k a year in London as a single wage running a house 2 kids 2 cars etc … 27k is a good wage for a 1st job,

The OP, is aware that he will do a couple of longer days … and to be fair he won’t be away for up to 2 weeks which I believe you are… when I return to the UK in 2019 … I will no longer need to earn much so 27k is a sufficent wage.

Stinka:

What are you asking us for? Only you know your personal circumstances and whether £27k a year is a living wage or not. Only you know what weekly/monthly outgoings you have. If £27k covers them with some left over then the decision is yours, if it doesn’t then you obviously you need to look elsewhere.

Andrew.simmons:
Im on £23,525 a year class 1. 4 on 4 off rolling, 20 days holiday. Average 48 hours a week so works out at £128.90 per shift. If im tramping out I get £23 and whatever the parking costs.

Im happy with that as I effectively only work 161/162 days per year. I can do overtime at £170 per shift.

Works great for me as it covers all the bills and I get 4 days off to spend with the gaffa and the newborn.

Sounds near enough what I’m on.

Great only ‘working half the year’ isn’t it…? :sunglasses:

Pat Hasler:

You earn 60K and struggle to get by?!
Maybe you’re living beyond your means…60k per year equates to a hell of a lot of money per month,around 3.5k per month!!

I wouldn’t be coming on here and asking if my wage was acceptable to be honest. Most on here are low earners anyway, if your happy earning 27k per year then crack on. It has no relevance what you earn or what the next man earns. If 27k gets you where you want to be then all is good. Your own satisfaction is what is important and your own family circumstance, what difference could anyone on here make to that with their response. Would you leave the job if Mikey 297 says no it is rubbish?

Goldfinger:

Andrew.simmons:

Sounds near enough what I’m on.

Great only ‘working half the year’ isn’t it…? :sunglasses:

It does! The job is steady enough too. Some ■■■■ deliveries but most of it is RDC stuff. Im not hassled by the office either.

I could earn more, but I walk away with just under £398 a month after bills. The wife is on £19k a year so we have a liveable amount.

Due to have 4 in a row off, Childcare is not really needed as one of us always off.