Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

8wheels:
OK, had a chance to look round the steel IBC’s in the yard today.

I’m not sure where I got the 1100l from there’s nothing on them except for a big label with the companies name and details etc. and 110% bunded fuel flask.

I wouldn’t worry about that. You were going from memory, so that’s why I asked for more info.

8wheels:
There is a little embossed serial number plate however and it gives the unladen weight as 500kg Laden at 1500Kg, assuming diesel weighs 1Kg per litre this would make it a 1000l IBC would it not?

I’m a little surprised that there isn’t a proper “UN” marking as I described above, but there are many non-approved versions around. Depending on a few conditions as I mentioned above, it might be no problem whatsoever, because there’s a UK exemption in force until 2019. Before I can give you a good answer, I’m afraid we’re back to needing some info from your boss and/or the manufacturer.

Thanks for the 500 unladen… etc. Your assumption is generally correct, because we’d normally count 1 litre as weighing 1 KG, but that’s based on the weight of water. Interestingly, litre for litre, Diesel is actually a little lighter in weight than water. That’s why ADR works on literage for liquids, rather than Kgs. That’s another reason I mentioned the manufacturing standard when you asked about the Dartford Tunnel.

Spare a thought for somebody carrying sulphuric acid, because 1 litre of that weighs approx 1.8 Kgs :open_mouth: there’s many a tanker driver been caught for overweight with that stuff.

We’re looking for an allowed capacity not exceeding 1,000 litres, plus the ullage space (not counted) plus the bund (also not counted.) ADR wouldn’t be interested in the gross weight for instance, but you’d have to count the weight for axle/GVW loading purposes under the Construction and Use Regs.