ERF 'European' (1975)

bubbleman:

ERF-NGC-European:
Well the talk at Crewe seems to have been well-received! A few points arose from the talk because, as I hoped would happen, people found me afterwards to add details. I also made one or two new contacts. Here as some points to ponder.

1. Apparently, between Eric Vick and Trans Arabia, KFH 248P and KFH 249P were sold to Goldings Heavy Haulage of Wooten-Under-Edge. Whether they actually ran them or simply acted as dealers is not yet known.

2. Before Beeches garage sold JDF 132N to Beresford Transport, it was leased to Grocott – we know that because Graham Beech provided a picture which I put on here a while back. What I didn’t know was that Grocott did Middle East with it. We already knew that Grocott did Middle East BTW. Graham is hunting me out any more details.

3. There were five ex- NGC drivers there. I was able to have confirmed that the top speed was around 60 mph which fits in with my findings about the final drive ratio being used as a ‘limiter’ with a sensible margin for European running.

Meanwhile, others are keeping their eyes peeled for any more material.

Cheers, Robert

Hello Robert,glad to hear that your presentation at Crewe was well received and surprised to hear that John Golding had KFH 248P and KFH 249P pass through his hands.I never heard this before either and having visited Johns yard on many occasions to photograph his lorries, I never saw them…I would have been excited to see them in his colours,however I can tell you that he bought two Mack Interstators from Harold Williams whose yard is just down the road from Eric Vicks …JDF 249V was put to work by John and JDF 250V which had been involved in an accident was purchased for spares,now I don’t wish to cause doubt on your contacts news but maybe just maybe he got confused with this as “twin ERFs” and “twin Macks” from near enough the same address going to live with John.Unfortunatly John is no longer with us to ask ,but wouldn’t it be great if pictures of these two 7 MWs turn up in Johns colours…sorry to witter on,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Interesting stuff, Bubbs! The source came from within Eric Vick so should be reliable. What I strongly suspect is that John acquired the pair from Eric Vick and when he got down-wind of S Jones’s pursuit of loose LHD ERFs for the Trans Arabia fleet he probably responded with KFH 248P / 249P, rather than pressing them into service with his own fleet. I do know Trans Arabia got them in 1983. Cheers, Robert :smiley: