Tesla Electric Artics

I can see electric power being the future but not with the vehicle being recharged. It has to be a battery swap like with fork-lifts at RDCs. The fuel station of the future won’t be serving petrol and diesel but will be swapping a standard sized vehicle battery. If the battery is underslung on the bottom of the vehicle, then it would pull over a pit and the whole swap could be done with robots in seconds. The driver would swipe his credit card and carry on while the dead battery would be conveyed to an underground charging and storage room. A stock of charged battteries would be lined up ready for the next customer. The battery industry has a history of conforming to standard sizes; so I’m sure one size for vehicles could easily be agreed. Larger vehicles would need more power but with their greater dimensions they could have multiple batteries, all slung underneath. Artics could even carry batteries on the underside of the trailer to give a greater range and more horse-power. A computer would calculate when a battery[or batteries] would need changing and GPS would route the vehicle to the nearest changing station.

Just think, no more tankers. All the power would be distributed by the National Grid. No more diesel smelling hands after re-fueling. I envisage a vehicle battery would be about 6 foot x 4 foot in size and stand about 1 foot high, weighing just under a ton and sitting under the vehicle; so nobody would nick your fuel either.