Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

8wheels:
OK this is all great info, once I have got all my relevant facts together I will go and speak to the boss about it. As long as I know I’m right I will tell him the postion and state that I will not move fuel unless we comply with the above.

On the assuption that we get everything above sorted are we allowed to take an IBC or package (drum) from the yard to a site where the machine already is.

Yes. The yellow “thingy” will probably count as an IBC for ADR’s purposes. BTW, are there any markings/serial numbers stamped/embossed on them?? A nice close-up pic would help. This is now the only unresolved part of your questions. the issue is that you called it an “1,100” litre bunded flask.

We must clarify that its “CAPACITY” isn’t more than 1,000 litres. If the bund takes it to the stated 1,100 litres total capacity, you’re OK to carry one of them at any one time. If it’s 1,100 litres plus the bund, you have a little problem in that you’re still stuck with the 1,000L limit. That’s definitely a question for your boss/the manufacturer, unless it’s clearly written on it somewhere.

When that “thingy” is on the ground, as in your pic, ADR isn’t interested in it. It’s then a bunded flask for environmental/storage Regs. ADR only takes an interest when you carry it on a truck. You can only carry: one of these at a time, if its capacity is 1,000 litres. Alternatively, you could carry up to 5X200 litre drums at any one time. (Remember, the fuel already in the digger’s tank DOESN’T count, so you can also fill that before you set off. :wink: )

8wheels:
ie. can we transport the fuel, when we are not carrying the plant for which it is intended.

Yes. The fuel can be transported without the machine(s) as long as you don’t go above the 1,000 litre limit above. (Remember ANY number/combination of empty drums/IBCs can ALSO be carried at any time- they don’t count either)

8wheels:
Lastly (phew) I assume that this is applicable to any vehicle involved in the task, LGV or LDV.

Yes. There was an exemption for vehicles of less than 3,500Kgs GVW, but that ended on 1/1/07, so now even they will be affected by the same limits.

8wheels:
Thank you for your time and patience.

No probs 8wheels, thank you for yours also. I can’t always answer straight away, and sometimes there’s some research involved. Your questions about that yellow “thingy” and the Dartford Tunnel involved some research outside of both ADR and normal UK Regs. I do answer as quickly as possible, within limits, though. Excellent questions BTW.