Wigan Transport Companies

Hi Ray, just a minor point if it isn’t being pedantic, although I’ve submitted odds and sods to the A in M thread, John West is the man actually responsible for launching the thread.

With that said, and since Vince Brown’s name has been mentioned, I worked alongside Vinny at Pennington Haulage for a spell, before he set up on his own carting out of Gridweld. I also did the odd load for the late John Littler, Andrew’s brother.

You may remember Freddy Brown, of Highfield Haulage fame, his premises were on Foundry lane, Highfield. He also drove for ■■■■ Pennington back in the mid 70’s, before going it alone.

I’ve hesitated to submit any photographs to this thread, as, incredible as it may seem, I don’t appear to have any, or none of Wigan hauliers anyway, most of my photos being Ashton related, but among the names suggested by Glynn, I could provide hitherto unseen shots of Gaskell’s, Greenall’s and Pennington’s motors by the bucketful. But then, they wouldn’t strictly speaking be Wigan hauliers would they?

Finally, and I realise it’s a bit of a long shot, but I was wondering if the previous poster, Glynn, could possibly be Glynn Jones from Stubshaw? Probably not most likely, just curious that’s all.

Regards. Eddie.