ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:
As an aside to my ^^^above reply re 8MW cabs, I would point out that there is almost certainly no danger that one of our known NGCs will turn out to be a re-cabbed non-NGC which used to have a 4MW / 6MW cab. I say this because I know of no 4x2 units with that cab that was sold in UK or Europe (all 6x4s). The only single example of a 4x2 4MW that I can find went to NZ, and as that was a wrecker even that one may have been a cut down 6x4. Robert

Wouldn’t that premise logically translate as 8 MW being mainly meant as a factory identifier and referring specifically to loose 7MW cabs provided with a factory made mounting kit which made them 8 MW by default ?.Which might answer the question as to the mounting kits all being factory designed if not also fabricated specifically for their respective applications.Which then raises the question of loose 7 MW cabs and mounting kits also being provided for odd number retrospective use in addition to 8 MW.So it’s quite possible that odd number MW’s could also have been retrospectively modified with loose 7 MW cabs just as even number types could.I’d guess that the Cauvas unit might fall into that category ?.IE retrospective fit of a loose 7 MW cab using factory supplied mounting kit ?.

Yes indeed. To sum up, it seems probable that 7MW cabs could be retro-fitted to chassis previously bearing 5MW cabs; and that 8MW cabs could be retro-fitted to chassis previously bearing 4MW / 6MW cabs. I think what you are suggesting is that if that is the case, then some of our so-called NGCs might turn out to be MGCs with later-fitted 7MW cabs. That could put a spanner in the works! However, there is a quick test: the NGC chassis was waisted behind the cab, so the fuel tank appears at a slight angle on the chassis rail and you can see the difference using the rear mudguard as a reference point.

A word of caution though, we know of no rumoured or documented examples of 7MWs replacing 5MW cabs. We also know of only one documented 7/8MW cab replacing a 6MW cab and as that was RHD the issue is clouded. It seems we’re on the right track but in sore need of evidence. Robert

Robert,remember the chap i spoke to who put the new cab on Pountains motor at Cossington’s.He said that
they had to put some sort of kit on that one so the cab could tilt.