Weekend only work - Midlands

Well I won’t hopefully ever have to touch the Official DVSA guide to driving goods vehicles. As I’ve managed to pass the case studies. I found it pretty tough actually. And wasn’t sure I had passed. The questions are not hard but they are a bit ambiguous. I got 48/50 which I am happy with. Truth be told I’d be happy with 40/50 as I’m less than impressed with the test. I found it mostly irrelevant and hugely biased towards making you memorize useless information, and parroting the DVLA’s latest bee in their bonnet (cyclists and eco driving).

In the end my technique was to not bother reading their ‘case studies’ - as for most of the questions you don’t need the information. And when you do it’s easier to scan the text for the relevant bits. There was a ratio question which I had to think about for a moment. Why on earth a truck driver needs to work out that ratio without the use of a calculator is beyond me. However for anyone who gets the question the answer is 3:2. You might also get an obscure question relating to double manning drivers hours - and the answer there is 9 hours in 30 hours. I’m only saying those as I think they are unfair questions as they are so far removed from what a cat C driver is likely to need to know.

Now another piece of advice is to NOT get the case studies which is in this thread. It’s really nothing life the case studies which you will get in the test. All revision is good I suppose - but there is another one which is more realistic called drivingtheory4all. I only got that last night but it was a lot closer to the real thing. It costs £5.50 more but is much much better. However both the only questions ask totally random and obscure things which are not in the real test. Things like ‘what is the name for the legislation related to the carriage of animals’ there was nothing like that in the case studies exam proper.

Anyway - I’m looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend before starting my training next Thursday with Tim who is one of Pete’s trainers. I am very much looking forward to giving the driving ago after being bored senseless reading that book!