Stobart assement

I didn’t mind it at Goole, I must say. I thought the grass was greener elsewhere, and it turned out to be a complete mistake, so I wished I would have stayed. The supermarket deliveries were a bit stressful, especially the little expresses tucked away in every ■■■■ and cranny, requiring death-defying manoeuvres. But, all in all, it was very local to where I lived, and I enjoyed it. In bed every night, and took home about £450 per week on days.

I can confirm that the agency men do get the cream jobs out of Goole. They used to always get the brand new trucks and cushy long-runs, like the Barrow, Millom, Carlisle and Wisbech runs. The captive employees got the smashed-up old manuals and multi-drops into Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Hull city centres. Apparently it’s because Stobarts have such a dependency on agency men, they have to keep them happy. The agency promises their drivers single drops in a new truck, and Stobarts have to honour it.

Tramping out of Doncaster is a funny one, when I was there a year ago it was just Goole’s refrigerated sister depot for Tesco. They only had a handful of units based there. I honestly don’t think you’d be tramping out of Doncaster. The tramping was nearly all done out of Sherburn. Not sure whether it still is or not.

I left after less than 12 months, and they didn’t take a penny from me for uniform or training. I did leave on very good terms, I will admit. When most drivers pack-in at Stobarts, it normally involves them turning the truck around en-route, and throwing the keys at a planner before storming out. Or they just never turn up for work again.