Two reduced weekly rests on the spin

Was having a disagreement with a friend yesterday about having two reduced weekly rests on the spin. According to him and the DVSA website you can’t have two weekly reduced rests on the spin yet the government website says you can. Last week I worked 14 hours on the Saturday reducing my weekly rest, the week before I had more than 45 hours off. This weekend I ran in on the Saturday morning after running out of shift time yesterday. My understanding is that I need to pay back the hours from last weekend and this weekend in full by next weekend.

Is this correct or have I goofed?

Radar19:
Was having a disagreement with a friend yesterday about having two reduced weekly rests on the spin. According to him and the DVSA website you can’t have two weekly reduced rests on the spin yet the government website says you can. Last week I worked 14 hours on the Saturday reducing my weekly rest, the week before I had more than 45 hours off. This weekend I ran in on the Saturday morning after running out of shift time yesterday. My understanding is that I need to pay back the hours from last weekend and this weekend in full by next weekend.

Each fixed week (sunday midnight to sunday midnight) must have a weekly rest IN it
IN meaning at least 1 minute in it to count for that week (fixed week)
At least every other week must have a regular 45 in it

Payback for a weekly rest reduced in week 1 must be paid back in full in one go before the sunday midnight of week 4

ROG:

Radar19:

Each fixed week (sunday midnight to sunday midnight) must have a weekly rest IN it
IN meaning at least 1 minute in it to count for that week (fixed week)
At least every other week must have a regular 45 in it

Payback for a weekly rest reduced in week 1 must be paid back in full in one go before the sunday midnight of week 4

So do I have an infringement waiting for me because I reduced last week and again this week.

You will be fine nothing wrong with it as long as you pay it back next weekend last year I used to work 6 days 6 days 4 days np

You don’t have to have a full rest period every other weekend, you have to have a full rest period every other fixed week. It’s not the same thing.

Week 1- you have a full rest which straddles 00:00 Monday at the beginning of the fixed week.

Week 3- you have a full rest which straddles 00:00 Monday at the end of the fixed week.

Therefore in week 2 you can have a reduced rest at both the beginning and end of the fixed week.

Radar19:

There’s no rule against having 2 consecutive reduced weekly rest periods, however if you only have one weekly rest period a week and it’s always taken at weekends you should have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second weekend.

There are occasions when you can have reduced weekly rest periods on 2 consecutive weekends but it can usually only be done once between 90 hour rest periods (this will usually be a holiday).

It’s not possible to say whether or not you’ve got an infringement winging it’s way to you with the information given.

Like I said, if your weekly rest periods are always at the weekends you should generally stick to having a regular weekly rest period at-least every other weekend.

Compensation for reduced weekly rest periods should be paid back en-block by the end of the third week following the week that the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

OP - if you have only taken weekly rests at weekends and you did regular reduced reduced regular then you could possibly get an infringement but to give a definitive answer we would need to know all the weekly rests you have taken since you last took at least 90 hours off and we would need to know if all those weekly rests included sunday midnight

tachograph:
There are occasions when you can have reduced weekly rest periods on 2 consecutive weekends but it can usually only be done once between 90 hour rest periods (this will usually be a holiday).

This is incorrect.

If I take a 45 hour rest at the start of week 1, and a 45 hour rest at the end of week 3, then I can take a reduced rest at the end of week 1 and the beginning of week 3 (or in other words, at both ends of week 2). All that is required is to compensate for the reduced rest before the end of the third following week.

I used to do this regularly when I was running my own truck, and it never once flagged up as an infringement on my tachograph analysis.

Harry Monk:

tachograph:

This is incorrect.

If I take a 45 hour rest at the start of week 1, and a 45 hour rest at the end of week 3, then I can take a reduced rest at the end of week 1 and the beginning of week 3 (or in other words, at both ends of week 2). All that is required is to compensate for the reduced rest before the end of the third following week.

I used to do this regularly when I was running my own truck, and it never once flagged up as an infringement on my tachograph analysis.

You can only do that if the regular weekly rest period at the start of week 1 can be used for week 1 and the regular weekly rest period at the end of week 3 can be used for week 3, you cannot legally do that on a regular basis.

A full 45 hour rest period which straddles 00:00 Monday can be applied to either the preceding or the following week.

Last weekend I had a 45 hour rest period, as I had done for several weeks beforehand.

This weekend, after working Monday-Friday I worked on Saturday (today) and will be taking a reduced rest.

Next weekend, after working Monday-Friday I will be working on Saturday and will be taking a reduced rest.

The following weekend I will be taking a 45 hour rest period. Therefore I will have complied with the requirement to take a full rest period in every other fixed week.

Harry Monk:
A full 45 hour rest period which straddles 00:00 Monday can be applied to either the preceding or the following week.

Last weekend I had a 45 hour rest period, as I had done for several weeks beforehand.

This weekend, after working Monday-Friday I worked on Saturday (today) and will be taking a reduced rest.

Next weekend, after working Monday-Friday I will be working on Saturday and will be taking a reduced rest.

The following weekend I will be taking a 45 hour rest period. Therefore I will have complied with the requirement to take a full rest period in every other fixed week.

That would only be legal if the regular weekly rest period you had last weekend can be used for last week.

A weekly rest period that crosses Sunday midnight can be used for either week but not both, therefore if the 45 hour rest period you had last weekend was needed for the previous week you would not be able to use if for last week.

For instance you could not legally continue the above work pattern with reduced weekly rest periods on the next 2 weekends unless you also had another regular weekly rest period sometime during one of the weeks.

As I said ran consecutive reduced rest made up the third week all the time never a problem it worked well in fact

animal:
As I said ran consecutive reduced rest made up the third week all the time never a problem it worked well in fact

Same here, used to regularly take two consecutive reduced weekend rests when I was running my own truck, the tacho analysis software never flagged it up as an infringement.

animal:
You will be fine nothing wrong with it as long as you pay it back next weekend last year I used to work 6 days 6 days 4 days np

animal:

Yes but you was having back to back regular weekly rest periods which changes the situation :wink:

If you have a reduced weekly rest week1 is it not the rule that the next weekly rest MUST be min 45hrs??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
If you have a reduced weekly rest week1 is it not the rule that the next weekly rest MUST be min 45hrs??

If you only have one weekly rest period each week and that weekly rest period is less than 90 hour you will generally need to have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period every second week.

Any 2 consecutive fixed weeks (0000 Mon - 2400 sun) must contain either 2 full weekly rests or one full and one reduced.

But that is not the same as saying you can only reduce every other, it’s quite complicated and won’t work for everyone and can only be done once before having extra time off to reset it.

You have a week off, start back at 0600 Mon, the last 45 hours upto 0600 count as a full weekly rest for that coming week 1, you work all week and take a reduced weekly rest, you then work all week 2 and take a reduced, you then work all week 3 and take a full, so you reduced 2 on the bounce then a full, but the actual fixed weeks were full, reduced, full.

It works by moving the rest that counts from the one at the beginning to the one at the end of the week. You need at least one min of holiday in week one, so if you started on Sunday it wouldn’t work.

You won’t be able to repeat this until you have a back to back weekly rest (90) that crosses midnight Sunday by at least 1 min, you’ll then keep this option of 2 reduced on the bounce so long as all your weekly rests cross midnight sun

Which is exactly what I’ve said! You’re moving the week that counts from the beginning of the week to start with, to the one at the end of the week.

Once you’ve done that you won’t be able to repeat it until you have a back to back full weekly rest that spans midnight sunday, so the first half will count for the week that’s ending and the second half will count for the coming week, so you’ve now how a weekly rest at the beginning of the week again.

But say the next week you run out on Sunday after having 45 off, you then have a 45 off that crosses midnight Sunday the following week, that is now the only weekly rest in that week, so you’ve just moved the one that counts to the end of the week and lost your chance to do 2 on the bounce ( all if working 5/6 days) you could work Mon, Tue, take 24 off on wed, work Thur, Fri, sat, 24 off on Sunday, then start a full the following week in the last minute of it at the latest. Or even work Thur - Tue, 24 off on wed, but you’d still need a 45 in that week starting no later than the last minute in it

So the OP has “goofed” as he didn’t have a weeks holiday before taking the two consecutive reduced weekly rests??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk