Counselling and duty of care

Time of course, has moved on. The haulage industry is still stuck in the middle ages.

I will say however…I am a qualified ■■■■■■-analyst/person centred counsellor, I obviously do not practice…Why do I no longer practice? Because people basically just need to pull themselves together and literally get on with it all. This may sound harsh.

Now, take yourself back a few decades, to the point of war and you would have seen your friends, colleagues etc. killed, maimed etc. I am not saying this is good, or to be expected, however we do have inbuilt psychological coping strategies, but these are torn apart by external agencies, who feel they need to support you in times of distress, when all the time, you can actually use your own coping strategy, you do have one and there is no one or any other organisation to tell you that it is wrong…You do what works for you, perhaps it means storing it in a memory, dealing with it immediately, we are all different and will cope in a way that is unique to us, the problems start when external agencies start to interfere…Another reason why I no longer practice, because my approach is not recognised or welcome in the therapeutic frame of reference.

I firmly believe that people need time to understand what has happened, internalise what has happened and then they are ready to cope in their own way, if they need outside help, they will seek it…Not have it forced upon them and usually when it has not had time to “sink in” to the individual.

I have been on scene of accidents and have had 2 people die with me, one of which was not in a good way, both physically and mentally, I internalised it, understood it, rationalised it and actually came to the conclusion that he was a prick for speeding, depriving his wife and two teenage daughters of their main source of income…We are all different and see things in so may different ways, there is never a wrong way or a right way, just your own way.