Unions

Rjan:

harrawaffa:
Appreciate the replies.
Reading my op makes it seem like I just phoned a company and pulled this great job out of thin air. Not the case I have a friend who works there. He put me in contact with the TM.
This job is still ABP work which will make it far less appealing to most but it’s what I’ve done for most of my short driving career and the material doesn’t bother me.

I’m wary of Union membership because of how a family member was treated during a 3 month strike. Faced with losing her home she went back to work and this resulted in a 2 year vendetta against her which ultimately resulted in her being forced out of her job by militant union members and she’s never worked in that sector again. This was over 10 years ago now so things might have changed.

Bearing in mind that the whole point of the strike is to boycott an employer and ensure that work doesn’t get done until they accept the terms of the workforce, how would you propose that such a bitter strike should have been conducted?

If a union cannot sort out a problem and the workforce has to go on strike for 3 months. That is a loss of 3 months earnings in which the members are put through hardship and then is forced to return to work due to a lack of money, there will not be many who would wish to strike again. The employer is now in an even stronger position than before.