Unions

harrawaffa:
In recent months I’ve become jaded with the flat to the mat 4 nights out bulk tipper lifestyle.
So made some calls and found what looked to be a decent job imo. (Own account, salaried 33k, 4 on 4 off, 48 hours a week, permanent 1 PM start, no nights out)
Passed assessment/ interview and have accepted the job and start next week.
The job is heavily unionised. Driver assessor is a union rep. I spotted several drivers strutting around in their union branded hi viz and when in signing my contract this morning I was handed the union paperwork at the same time.
I’ve never been a member of a union nor have I ever worked anywhere that there has been a union presence.

My questions are:

Is it worth the £20 or so every month?
As a driver has being a member ever done anything for you?
Am I likely to be treated as a scab for not bothering to sign up?

I’ve read their website but at the end of the day they’re trying to sell you a product I’m looking for opinions form a less biased source.
I’m inclined to just sign up to save from any grief further down the line but I’m not interested in attending meetings or any of that nonsense.
I like to go to work, do the job and go home with no politics or unnecessary hassle.

On the face of it the t.s and c.s don’t sound too bad, maybe that’s BECAUSE it’s a Union co. :bulb:
There’s a lot of strong anti Union feeling on here mate (mostly by those who learned at school about 70s Unions)

Best to make your own mind up, but I bet the job aint like your last ‘flat to the mat’ rat race type job…again BECAUSE of their Union.