CF85 480 AUTO BOX thoughts?

Juddian:
Well as my name got dragged in… :smiling_imp: :laughing: :blush:

I found the older Dafs with arsetronic to be the worse for on/off switch type clutch engagement, though not as bad programming as bloody earlier Ivecos, Jesus wept, however i will say the box (given Norb’s very sensible advice about getting its bumps read before purchase) to be a reliable unit, bloody sight more reliable long term than Scanias box, pre new generation, if our fleet is anything to go by.

Coming up for 5 years now in my current MAN with arsetronic, now just over 700k and it hasn’t put a foot wrong, the clutch release bearing collapsed at half a mill (they all do that sir) but luckily not with me :wink: , i had already reported it at the dealer about 3 months before for excessive judder when reversing up a slight incline but sod all was done and the bearing went leading to being dragged in, its sisters had already done the same but at lower mileage.
Other than that, i drive it in manual and the gearbox is a lot better behaved for doing so, especially at moving junctions and controlling hill climbs, plus better fuel and maintained progress.

So if my experience is anything to go by, try some gentle controlled maneuvering up a slope and see A how you get on with it, and B if you can detect any judder.

My personal choice, 460 CF with 16 speed manual, bloody brilliant lorry, wish i’d still got mine.

I must apologise juddian for bringing your name in to the thread ,but I find your opinion about the box relevant as you drive the dammed thing ,so technically have a better understanding of how it operates than I do as you put in the mile if ha makes sense ,I on the other hand can be informative on the failure that I experience …So mechanically it is a sound box ,it is the software that is the weak link …Yep the clutch release bearig fails ,but you cant blame ZF for that ,the clutches are usually SACHS …Yep you are 1000% correct about the good old 16 speed box with the good old mechanical linkage ,no cable ■■■■ ,it was a good box ,3rd gear was hit ,but it kept me busy and happy repairing them…LOL My bosses never questioned me when repairing them…Even when I had to visit the ZF warranty lad due to a warranty rejection,once I had pointed out the issue ,he paid and I have never ever had a rejection since :smiley: :smiley: