Does it matter if i train and pass Cat C in an auto?

Just done my first couple of hours lesson out in a lorry, not as bad as I thought!
The company only trains on automatics though. They reckon best to learn and pass on an easier automatic, then just book some practice on a manual after i pass if i want the experience.
I know i can legally drive manuals if i pass on an automatic, but will it make it harder getting work? Is there anything to show i only passed on an automatic?
Does this sound sensible or not?
Cheers,
Sam

There are so many different types of manual and auto boxes so whatever you train in makes no difference

I chose to pass in a manual so as when out on the open road i had a good understanding of how a lorry gearbox works and should i get given an automatic it would pretty much drive it’s self.

Getting a professional to teach me was something i really wanted and couldn’t see the point in passing then going back for lessons.

Since passing I’ve drove both manuals and automatics and I’ve had no problem with either.

Well-Jell:
I chose to pass in a manual so as when out on the open road i had a good understanding of how a lorry gearbox works

But that would have been only one type of manual

A lorry driving mate of mine told me I’d be unlucky to get a manual these days. And surely whilst manuals exist in the wild their numbers are ever decreasing.

I’ll be glad of the easier time learning in an auto. If I get a manual down the line I’ll figure it out or break the thing trying.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

As long as your car licence allows you to drive manuals then it doesn’t matter a hoot what type gearbox the Cat C vehicle will have.
Most trucks nowadays are either semi-auto or full auto, manuals are rare and are probably only fitted by special order from customers.

Train in whatever you feel comfortable with - pays your monies, you takes your choice.

Just remember that the gearbox shouldn’t be the ultimatum; good quality instruction, correct vehicles & facilities (i.e. private DVSA test centre) would be at the top of my checklist.

Having learnt myself in a 4-over-4 box (and now operating a fleet of fully automatic vehicles for training purposes), it would be a no-brainer for me. IMHO, it’s easier to learn the use of a manual gearbox once you relieved the pressure of the practical test; it’s one less thing to worry about.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I passed my Class 2 (C) in an automatic in May and have been doing agency work since then. I have come across all sorts of manual gears (standard 6 gears, 3 over 3, 4 over 4) since and some are more difficult to master. The worst I had was a ’ standard’ 6 gear lever on an old poorly maintained vehicle (about 15 years old MAN but can’t remember exactly). I had a sore left shoulder from battling with it all day and couldn’t get it into reverse without using 2 hands!!
The first time I drove a split 3 over 3 gear I had to ask/clarify how to use it. Was pretty easy although you do have to remember which set you are in and remember to go through neutral properly between sets and also block change so that you go up/down through the gears quick enough. You will obviously make mistakes like trying to set off in too high a gear after stopping at junctions.
The advantage of the manuals is you do get more control of your speed.
I think every driver who I have been in an automatic wth complains about them not selecting the correct gear at lower speeds.
Whatever you drive you will be ok as long as you are competent as a manual car driver so don’t worry about it. Passing your test in an automatic will allow you to concentrate on road position and observation. As with all drivers you will then learn by experience after passing the test.
Good luck and enjoy…

:smiley:

IronEddie:
A lorry driving mate of mine told me I’d be unlucky to get a manual these days. And surely whilst manuals exist in the wild their numbers are ever decreasing.

Nothing unlucky about it, 'cause the 3 lorry drivers I’ve discussed it with all agreed with my own assessment that (in a Class 2 at least) a manual gearbox is preferable.

Don’t need to learn in a manual though - as long as you’ve got a manual car licence of course.

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

Nothing unlucky about it, 'cause the 3 lorry drivers I’ve discussed it with all agreed with my own assessment that (in a Class 2 at least) a manual gearbox is preferable.

Don’t need to learn in a manual though - as long as you’ve got a manual car licence of course.

Preferable maybe. What my mate was saying is that I’d be unlucky because the majority of trucks these days are autos. So the chances of getting a manual are small.

He learnt in a manual before doing it in an auto also granted you manual.

IronEddie:
Preferable maybe. What my mate was saying is that I’d be unlucky because the majority of trucks these days are autos. So the chances of getting a manual are small.

I realised that is what you meant. I’m just saying (Class 2) manuals are more enjoyable to drive :slight_smile: . If my company replaced my 4 over 4 MAN with a ■■■■■■ auto I’d be well ■■■■■■ off. :cry: Still that would probably be the push I needed to go for my Class 1.

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

I realised that is what you meant. I’m just saying (Class 2) manuals are more enjoyable to drive :slight_smile: . If my company replaced my 4 over 4 MAN with a [zb] auto I’d be well ■■■■■■ off. :cry: Still that would probably be the push I needed to go for my Class 1.

Why don’t you go for it any way ? I am even though if I pass I will be giving up a 10 month old 26t Merc for a 4 year old Iveco :frowning:

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

I realised that is what you meant. I’m just saying (Class 2) manuals are more enjoyable to drive :slight_smile: . If my company replaced my 4 over 4 MAN with a [zb] auto I’d be well ■■■■■■ off. :cry: Still that would probably be the push I needed to go for my Class 1.

Fair enough. Horses for courses I suppose. I don’t personally at this point with no experience of either care what I get. I’m glad I’ll be learning on an auto as it’s one less thing to think about but beyond that I’ll figure out and master whatever I’m given.

blue estate:

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

Why don’t you go for it any way ? I am even though if I pass I will be giving up a 10 month old 26t Merc for a 4 year old Iveco :frowning:

Cause I’m only 2 months into my first permanent driving job (where I’m very happy) and they don’t run any Class 1 vehicles. Will want to try Class 1 at some point though, but in no rush. After all I’m only 48, so still on the young side to be a Class 1 driver :laughing: :wink:

IronEddie:

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

Fair enough. Horses for courses I suppose. I don’t personally at this point with no experience of either care what I get. I’m glad I’ll be learning on an auto as it’s one less thing to think about but beyond that I’ll figure out and master whatever I’m given.

You definitely want to learn in an auto - agreed.

KTMrider:

blue estate:

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

Cause I’m only 2 months into my first permanent driving job (where I’m very happy) and they don’t run any Class 1 vehicles. Will want to try Class 1 at some point though, but in no rush. After all I’m only 48, so still on the young side to be a Class 1 driver :laughing: :wink:

I’m 2 years at current place and they’re paying for mine

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

You’d probably find fewer manual in fleets with artics than in fleets with rigids.

muckles:

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

You’d probably find fewer manual in fleets with artics than in fleets with rigids.

That is as I thought. Where I’m coming from is that (now I’m familiar with Class 2 vehicles) I prefer a manual box.

As Class 1 would be a whole new ball game to learn, i’m sure I’d be grateful for an auto (just as I was when I was learning Class 2) :slight_smile: