Limited company advice

Conor:

Damo_hall:
There’s still plenty of money to earn being Ltd.

No there isn’t unless you ignore the holiday pay you don’t get (equivalent to 12.7% of the PAYE hourly rate), the workplace pension contributions you don’t get (equivalent to 1% but soon to be 3% of gross pay), the costs you have with setting up and running a limited company not only for the bills you pay but the cost of the “free time” you spend doing paperwork things like keeping legally required records for the WTD etc, and travelling to accountants… Another £2/hr limited over a PAYE rate of £10/hr doesn’t even come close to breaking even with the PAYE rate, £1.50 of that will be eaten up compensating you for holiday pay and workplace pension you don’t get alone and your accountant could cost anywhere from 40p to over a quid an hour depending on how many hours you do.

Agree with this. I do agency work on a PAYE basis, when I started my own limited company was still active from my owner-driver days so I could have worked on a limited company basis for £2 an hour more but when I did the maths it just wasn’t worth it. Possibly in my case it’s slightly different in that I can claim back all of the income tax I pay when the tax year ends but I figure I’d have to work a hell of a lot of hours to make limited company worthwhile.