CF85 480 AUTO BOX thoughts?

Honest truths here …with it being an 11 year old motor ,it is a risk…The early AS TRONICS ,and we are talking software here ,as the box is genuinely sound it is the software and how it is integrated to the truck …Well it wasn’t brilliant ,and wont be as good as the latest ,which still gets slated ,ask Juddian lol…The items in the box that would be of a concern are the split , range change, transmission brake ,and selector forks …I will justify it lol…The range and split are the only items with synchros ,so wearable parts ,in my experience ,the range is the only item to fail …The forks again if they wear will throw up a warning as they have set measurements with in the ECU and if out it will throw up a transmission warning .( all transmission faults will say transmission warning DAVIE is required to pinpoint the issue )…The transmission brake again is a wearable item …

Now a slight ray of light …Either take the vehicle to a DAF dealer before purchase ,who pays is between you and the seller ,but they can carry out a static and a dynamic sift rail test ,to see if the forks are within spec and a transmission brake test …both results can be printed off and given to you to make a decision …Obviously the dealer isn’t responsible for any decision you make ,They can also send an oil sample at a cost to you or the seller to the lab that DAF use to see what contaminents are in the oil which will help determing bearing ,fork transmiision brake wear etc even if there is water in the box …All warranty jobs go through the lab

Net bit yu have to be wary off is the water cooled looms…Major issue espically in 2006 …When assembled a loom would be installed and cable tied then another loom and again cable tied ,etc …One of the issues being the square lock of one cable tie chaffed through the loom placed on top causing issues …so tilt the cab ad where the loom flexes ,check for repairs …if happy I would cut off all the cable ties and use 1 large tie to wrap around all the loom so there is no chance of chaffing ,does the pivoting bracket still pivot ? and personally I would put rubber on all the brackets again to prevent chaffing …