Just don't know what to do?

Alright folks I hope that you are all well. So I am having to have a serious look at my working life. For so many years I have always wanted to be a driver. But for one reason or another (family/work) I have never followed it up. So recently I have restarted the journey to become one. At the moment I have a stable job with stable wages, good holidays and everything else that goes with it. As I don’t have my class C licence yet I have been looking at companies that have a mix of vehicles from van to arctic c&e as I feel that if I can get into one of them I have a better chance of progressing. So do I quit my job and take a punt on finding a driving job or hang on until I have my Class C licence? I also have the remaining year of an IN10 on my licence after riding my motorcycle unknown that my insurance had lapsed. I know this will be a negative for any prospective employer but I hope one will see passed it.
Cheers Paul

Keep your job at-least until you’ve got a cat C licence then decide what to do.

All you could get now is a van driving job which bears little resemblance to HGV driving, so why would you even consider throwing away a decent job.

Don’t let the IN10 put you off gaining your truck licence NOW. You may find it difficult to find work but the earlier you hold the entitlement the sooner the 2 year minimum passes that a lot of places ask for.

NPABU:
So do I quit my job and take a punt on finding a driving job or hang on until I have my Class C licence?

I speak as a numptie who quit his job the week prior to taking his Class 2. Don’t quit until you have your license, and preferably a job offer.

I failed the test and ended up doing some really crap (subbie to a subbie to an owner driver) 7.5t work for Nightfreight. About the worst week of work I have ever had the misfortune to do. As much as I hated my previous job, one week working for Nightfreight made it seem like heaven on earth.

Thanks for the replies, I will just have to keep working away,
there is always a need to put food on the table lol I have my theory and that in a couple of weeks so will plan better by then
Cheers
Paul

As others have said keep your job and do your HGV tests in your own time.

Once you have your licence perhaps try some weekend work through an agency (as long as it doesn’t affect your current job).

Easier said than done but certain times of year agencies are crying out for drivers, or so they let us believe.

Be prepared to do the legwork when you have your licence and you just may find a company willing to take on a new pass. First impressions count and the best first impression is face to face.

Life’s all about options give yourself as many as possible.

You have the primary qualification already in that ‘you have always wanted to be a driver’.

Good luck and keep us posted, you will also find lots of similar threads on here that will make an interesting read.

Or take a look at the main forum where there’s lots of experienced drivers discussing aspects of the job. Oh and ■■■■, lots and lots of ■■■■ :wink: .

I too was in the same boat as you!

Always fancied being a driver when I was in school etc one reason or another I ended up getting led down a different path.
So long story short after over 10 years in the retail sector, I quit my job, booked my C Licence training and test. it’s now 10 months since then.

I’ve been driving for 6 of those, and it is by far the best decision I made and I wish I done it long ago.

My advice is if you can afford to book the test etc do it, if you can afford to support yourself for a few months, then you need the fear.
As long as you’ve got that other job you may never take the jump. :smiley: