Becoming class 1 driver

Hi guys wondering if any of you can help me I’m looking to become a class 1 driver but I am aware that companies don’t take on newbies I’m in the bolton area iv been driving coaches for past 8 years and fancy a career change any help is much appreciated thanks

Surely coach experience makes you more experienced than say I who’s yet to drive any large vehicle?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Remember to check out the link in my signature below

Well I have a friend who is also looking for work at mo in class 1 or 2 and has 5 years bus and coach experience but has been told it’s not the same there for it doesn’t count so I don’t no

Rodneytrotter89:
Well I have a friend who is also looking for work at mo in class 1 or 2 and has 5 years bus and coach experience but has been told it’s not the same there for it doesn’t count so I don’t no

I don’t know either just seems to me whilst there are differences there are also similarities which help you over someone with no commercial driving experience.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just because your friend has been told that, does not mean that everyone thinks that. In my opinion (as an owner of a haulage company), bus/coach experience puts you a step above someone with no experience.

But, you may come across an employer that believes that you should give newbies a chance. I’ve two lads that started age 23 and 24, so there are people that will give someone a chance. I suggest you try the smaller haulage companies, where the boss is more likely to understand that it’s difficult and at the other end of the spectrum, people on here will tell you of the big companies that are willing to take a new pass on.

Good luck.

thats very true I will remember that thanks

My mate passed his ce last month and no hauliers big or small would hire him. He joined an agency and does multidrop van delivery to get experience now. I feel like many people getting into the industry are being lied to with regards to driver shortages and walking into jobs with no previous commercial driving experience. You do have that commercial experience so you should find it relatively easy to get work.

I passed in May and I’m under 25, and I seem to have no shortage of work mate, just join a few agencies, there is always work going I find, some of it’ is only £11/£12 an hour stuff but I mean a few days of that and a few on the big money and I don’t do too bad. It is just all about being proactive, I’ve turned down full time jobs because I’m happy on the agency at the minute unless a job I think suits me comes along.

Interesting the two wildly different responses from two people in broadly similar circumstances.

Can I ask you It’sJoe and JakeWS where you are both based?

I think there is definitely work out there if you go and knock on a few doors.
I have spoken with many companies and three have offered me a position as soon as I pass Class 1 subject to an assessment of course. I guess it depends on what you are prepared to do and for how much. Also if you intend tramping there is no reason to just look locally, I personally would be prepared to drive a good hundred miles to pick up the wagon for the start of my week.

I recently passed Class 2 and have had no problem finding work either, and NOT via agencies. That would be a last resort for me I am afraid.In fact I have had more of a problem deciding what job to take.

Like everything in life, you get out what you are prepared to put in.

albion:
Interesting the two wildly different responses from two people in broadly similar circumstances.

Can I ask you It’sJoe and JakeWS where you are both based?

I’m in Wigan, I see you post a fair bit about taking on young guys and noticed you were local and was debating messaging you about a job :laughing:

I never mind a PM young :wink: Jake, but unfortunately it’s dead men’s shoes at both bases and we only run artics out of our Herts depot. Just vans and puddlejumpers from Salford. Sorry!

I’m wondering if Joe is from a less busy part of the country, hence he is struggling.

I’m in work, but I consider myself very lucky as I happened to be at the yard at the right time when handing in my CV.

For the lad I know who passed his ce and is doing van work, he spent weeks going around yards in Liverpool and Speke and found that there’s loads of work, just none for a 25 year old new pass.

ItsJoe:
I’m in work, but I consider myself very lucky as I happened to be at the yard at the right time when handing in my CV.

For the lad I know who passed his ce and is doing van work, he spent weeks going around yards in Liverpool and Speke and found that there’s loads of work, just none for a 25 year old new pass.

He’d get a start at Downtons at preston brooke.They take on new passes and youngsters too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk