The first job

Hello all

Had my Class 2 for nigh in ten years now but after a few years of that I went to drive coaches but now I’m looking at dipping back into HGV work (fed up with the people I carry lol) on Class 1.

So about the first job. Am I better off going on agency and taking what I can? What is the work frequency like? Obviously I’ve got a mortgage to pay etc so I’d like reliable income. What’s the realistic chances of acheiving this?

Alternatively I’ve a chance at my mates work. It’s general haulage and he seems well respected there and he’s put a word in and says they will take me pending formalities. This is a permanent position but the money isn’t the best. It’s not bad at all though.

I also live in a distribution hotspot in Rugby. There’s DIRFT on my doorstep, Magna Park, places in Rugby.

I just don’t know where to turn so any advice for a new/returning trucker is appreciated

Personally if your mate can get you in why not follow it through? You can look round while that’s happening. The first jobs the hardest so if nothing better comes up I would take it and get the time on my card to look for other things in the future

Reliable work and income from agency will be nonexistent. You might get work until Christmas but after that don’t expect to hear from them again till May.
If your mate has opened the door for you I’d say go there. You say the money isn’t the best but is it actually bad or is it on par with other firms in the area?
Alternatively if you have a Stobart depot within commutable distance apply there. They will take you. They’ll take anyone.