Complete beginner - pros and cons of driving, educate me

Yes size matters, but it’s not always the case that when companies get larger things go to rats.

I think it depends to some extent who’s paying the bills, if its still a wholly owned company where the top deck are putting their own money on the line then a tighter rein will be kept, and a manager will be responsible for the safe sailing of the department of their ship.
Mistakes will be made, but when its one person in charge ( we’re talking years here, not like logistics where here today gone tomorrow is the norm) the buck stops with them, and any mistakes are soon rectified and not repeated.

These companies tend to work by old fashioned values, including how they treat and expect their employees to behave, that doesn’t mean to say they don’t invest heavily or are averse to high tech, but they tend to be old companies who have stayed the course and grown massively because they never forgot who the most important person is, the customer.

If its a large logistics oufit, where the parent company is owned by shareholders and the client company money is footing all the bills, then it sort of becomes a bit like a politicians magic money tree where no one is held accountable, the heirarchy mushrooms out, and sight is lost of what we were doing in the first place as greasy pole climbers scrabble for position.

Any of us who have had the misfortune to work for some of these logistics outfits have seen the sheer waste day in day out, no one bats an eyelid, if you as a driver make a sensible suggestion mitigating an expensive folly you either get told to mind your own business or ridiculed or both, hence inevitably the staff knowing they are just a number and unappreciated give up caring.

I work for the other sort, happily :laughing:

I did at one time work for Wincanton on the Kwik Save contract, that was run as well as i’ve seen anywhere.
Helped because the depot management was as good a crew as i’ve seen for a long time, had Kwikies not been take over by Somerfield and had stayed the same job (within reason) i would happily have seen my time out there.