15Sep17 - changes (DVSA news letter)... bit missing?

shep532:

jessejazza:
Some of you may have seen the 15sep17 newsletter. Now one can be fined at the roadside for up to 5 offences to come into affect when date announced @£300/time.

But what they have not mentioned is that one can be fined at the company depot if a visit takes place and one’s card is read - the possible fine is for EVERY day within a six month period.

I have worked for supportive companies and I have also had the misfortune of working for others who are not so professional. I recently learnt of a tachograph unit’s setup that’s unusual. The unit can be set so that one has to switch to break (after removing the key from ignition), and key only returned after break otherwise the unit will default to working time. Oh was I supposed to learn that on CPC! I figured it out after a couple of days and a mistake… £900 I’d get had for. I must have worked for twenty odd companies now and no one has mentioned this.

As I have now learned - keep a detailed log for six months. Met a DVSA guy on Friday and said that drivers need a more detailed CPC. I did not even have a practical session for manual entry - I figured it out but if one pays for a course it is a fundamental that should be covered. I am not driving for a while!

The fines are up to £300. They are graduated at £50, £100, £200 or £300. To get a £300 penalty for break you’d need to exceed your driving time by more than 2hrs

Can you link to anything official to back up your claim that penalties can be issued at the depot for up to 6 months. I have seen nothing at all to say this and my DVSA Enforcement Officer friend knows nothing about it.

If one wants a particular topic covered on a CPC course - then book the right course.

The DVSA guy I spoke too… if he told me incorrectly that is an issue.