Complete beginner - pros and cons of driving, educate me

muckles:
Eagerbeaver has a jaded opinion of the haulage industry, maybe justifiably from his experiences and he is right there are loads of crap jobs out there. But like others have said there are good jobs out there, but you have to go out and find them and you’ll also need a bit of luck. Your niche might be different to mine, but I’ve found a niche where I get well paid get to go to interesting places, work with some great people who do treat me properly, but I’m away a lot and for long periods and there can be a fair bit of physical graft, which I do understand wouldn’t suit everybody, but works for me.

However I didn’t get my licence and walk into this type of work, I worked for small haulage companies, where you’re normally treated like a person, but pay and kit might not be up to the same level as the big companies, I worked for agencies where I got paid well, but never knew if I was working from one day to the next, I even left the industry and went to work in IT for a few years, but wasn’t what it was cracked up to be.

And that seems a reasonable expectation. Some seem to find a job that suits them very soon after getting their license, but they are in a minority. Most of us try different jobs, get experience, maybe change our minds about what we`re really looking for, but with such a variety of opportunity most will find something to suit them. It may take some time sifting through all the waste first though.