Complete beginner - pros and cons of driving, educate me

£30k and home every night is achievable, and a fair bit more besides if you go out and find your own niche, but the better paid end of daywork tends to involve shifts now including weekends and bank holidays and early or late shifts, you would be very lucky to find a 6am starting time 5 day week job @ £30k home every night until you’ve been doing the job for a while…though if you don’t mind ■■■■■■■ :wink: stuff then plenty of rigid lorry shop retail catering delivery work pays pretty well and home every night, and of course there’s always rubbish collection tippers and skip work.

Good jobs are out there, and with the ageing workforces often found in the better jobs, they are trying to find good young blood to recruit, but finding the right calibre is proving challenging in many cases shall we say, so IMHO younger drivers who have the right work ethic, look after the job and the customer, have a very good future ahead of them in the transport industry.
You can forget the automation ■■■■■■■■ they keep ■■■■■■■ money up the wall at (kerching eh researchers :unamused: ), that’s pie in the sky, you’ll still be driving lorries when you’re 75 if you want to.

The secret to getting on the best jobs in this industry i have found is either you need a bloody lot of luck, or have close relatives already inside, or you have to earn yourself a reputation and good work history so when you eventually knock on the right door that hard work bears fruit, this won’t happen overnight and there might be many years of hard graft before getting on the good jobs, knocking on doors produces better jobs than relying on adverts, good employers don’t need to advertise for staff.

I did various types of general haulage and some night trunking for11 to 13 years before i got my first big break by being at the right place right time (well actually i used to service a loader’s car and he put the word in for me where he was and i went there driving small vans at first but on better money than my previous artic work, thats how weird fate can be), some others just fall on their feet, luck plays a big part.

edit, i have only secured one job by answering an advert, that was in or around 1981 where i got made redundant twice within 3 months, there were 65 applicants and it proved to be the crappiest job i’ve had the misfortune to work at, i lasted about 3 months there before putting me notice in and they never spoke another word to me following receipt of my notice, which only confirmed what they were and how my decision to go was right.