15Sep17 - changes (DVSA news letter)... bit missing?

Some of you may have seen the 15sep17 newsletter. Now one can be fined at the roadside for up to 5 offences to come into affect when date announced @£300/time.

But what they have not mentioned is that one can be fined at the company depot if a visit takes place and one’s card is read - the possible fine is for EVERY day within a six month period.

I have worked for supportive companies and I have also had the misfortune of working for others who are not so professional. I recently learnt of a tachograph unit’s setup that’s unusual. The unit can be set so that one has to switch to break (after removing the key from ignition), and key only returned after break otherwise the unit will default to working time. Oh was I supposed to learn that on CPC! I figured it out after a couple of days and a mistake… £900 I’d get had for. I must have worked for twenty odd companies now and no one has mentioned this.

As I have now learned - keep a detailed log for six months. Met a DVSA guy on Friday and said that drivers need a more detailed CPC. I did not even have a practical session for manual entry - I figured it out but if one pays for a course it is a fundamental that should be covered. I am not driving for a while!

And you’re surprised because…

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers

EddieMD:
And you’re surprised because…

No… no surprises with DVSA

I recently learnt of a tachograph unit’s setup that’s unusual. The unit can be set so that one has to switch to break (after removing the key from ignition), and key only returned after break otherwise the unit will default to working time.
You sure bout that?

So if I want to put my window up 40 mins into my 45 I need to come off break, put my window up and have another 30 mins?
I could live with that.

EddieMD:
I recently learnt of a tachograph unit’s setup that’s unusual. The unit can be set so that one has to switch to break (after removing the key from ignition), and key only returned after break otherwise the unit will default to working time.
You sure bout that?

So if I want to put my window up 40 mins into my 45 I need to come off break, put my window up and have another 30 mins?
I could live with that.

Yes - I couldn’t believe it and phoned the local tacho calibration folk. Two experienced driver’s (recently retired) I asked hadn’t come across it. As for your window it would depend what make of truck. Iveco I think are the only one’s that have power to the window switch when the ignition is off. If your employer doesn’t mind you are lucky with the extra break!

I had one of those ■■■■ alarms fitted (exterior located fob), went to the loo, on returning to the truck remembered the fob and instinctively put the key back in the ignition.

jessejazza:

EddieMD:
You sure bout that?

I could live with that.

Yes - I couldn’t believe it and phoned the local tacho calibration folk. Two experienced driver’s (recently retired) I asked hadn’t come across it. As for your window it would depend what make of truck. Iveco I think are the only one’s that have power to the window switch when the ignition is off. If your employer doesn’t mind you are lucky with the extra break!

I had one of those ■■■■ alarms fitted (exterior located fob), went to the loo, on returning to the truck remembered the fob and instinctively put the key back in the ignition.

Renault T cabs also let you do the windows, listen to the radio and have the cab lights on when keys have been handed over :smiley:

Each digital tacho can be preset for different functions at key on/off. A VDO must be done at a calibration centre. A Stoneridge can be done with a company card. They can be set to auto select break or work at either key on or off.

However, this isn’t some magical trick to catch you out. If you are on break and need to turn the ignition on, then do so and be prepared to simply press the mode button back to break - it’s not difficult. In fact, at autom mode selection it should flash the mode a few times before it actually changes, therefore allowing you to return to break.

Because the tacho only records complete minutes, turning the key, selecting break again, will have no effect on your break.

jessejazza:
Some of you may have seen the 15sep17 newsletter. Now one can be fined at the roadside for up to 5 offences to come into affect when date announced @£300/time.

But what they have not mentioned is that one can be fined at the company depot if a visit takes place and one’s card is read - the possible fine is for EVERY day within a six month period.

I have worked for supportive companies and I have also had the misfortune of working for others who are not so professional. I recently learnt of a tachograph unit’s setup that’s unusual. The unit can be set so that one has to switch to break (after removing the key from ignition), and key only returned after break otherwise the unit will default to working time. Oh was I supposed to learn that on CPC! I figured it out after a couple of days and a mistake… £900 I’d get had for. I must have worked for twenty odd companies now and no one has mentioned this.

As I have now learned - keep a detailed log for six months. Met a DVSA guy on Friday and said that drivers need a more detailed CPC. I did not even have a practical session for manual entry - I figured it out but if one pays for a course it is a fundamental that should be covered. I am not driving for a while!

The fines are up to £300. They are graduated at £50, £100, £200 or £300. To get a £300 penalty for break you’d need to exceed your driving time by more than 2hrs

Can you link to anything official to back up your claim that penalties can be issued at the depot for up to 6 months. I have seen nothing at all to say this and my DVSA Enforcement Officer friend knows nothing about it.

If one wants a particular topic covered on a CPC course - then book the right course.

shep532:
If you are on break and need to turn the ignition on, then do so and be prepared to simply press the mode button back to break

Ah you would think so, except I had a brand new MAN the other day which did switched to other work as you turned the ignition off (helpful as it turns the backlight off). It did the flashing symbol so I tried switching it quickly back to break before it stopped - tacho completely ignores me and goes to other work each timé regardless of what I’ve selected.

Really don’t know why tachos can’t just all operate logically and forget this ability to reprogramme them.

shep532:

jessejazza:

The fines are up to £300. They are graduated at £50, £100, £200 or £300. To get a £300 penalty for break you’d need to exceed your driving time by more than 2hrs

Can you link to anything official to back up your claim that penalties can be issued at the depot for up to 6 months. I have seen nothing at all to say this and my DVSA Enforcement Officer friend knows nothing about it.

If one wants a particular topic covered on a CPC course - then book the right course.

The DVSA guy I spoke too… if he told me incorrectly that is an issue.