Running commentary of my quest to become an LGV driver

The practical training.
I have called up Bains Driving school (bainsdrivingschool.co.uk/) and booked to start the training on the 12/09/2017 (done it now). I’m wishing myself good luck :slight_smile: .
Ah, disregard the “Finance available” on their website, they don’t offer any.

First day was good, not difficult, but size awareness is key. The instructor, Ajid (or Peter as he was “baptised” many years ago by someone who kept on forgetting his name), is awesome. An old soft-spoken man who definitely knows his stuff and is well friendly.
It is going really well, test on Saturday (16/09/2017). The driving is only different from normal car driving due to the vehicles size (as I mentioned earlier), and positioning. Once you get the knack of that and going around corners, its fine.

However, my only annoyance, is the bouncy driver’s seat. The ■■■■ seat has shock absorbers and sometimes it bounces you up and down (obviously when you hit bumps on the road). As a car and motorcycle driver, I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH MOVEMENT before, in a seat. WOW! You don’t get used to it in the 1st 2nd or 3rd day, that I can say (well for me having driven only 3 days), but you’ll have to deal with it. Those old timers (as in driving years, not age :stuck_out_tongue: ) will tell us if they are used to it by now. Anyway, it’s all good, I’m enjoying it.

Did I mention how wide it is? Yep! That is the main thing, gapping parked cars well in advance before getting to them. You would think that you are fine, nope you are not. The instructor says, “Go right, go right”, I’m going a bit right but thinking in my head, “I’m well away from the car”, nope not ‘Well’, only ‘Just’. It’s much better now.

On the first day, I hit the kerb :blush: thinking I would be able to go through a space with another truck (with trailer) on a small road. Well, I could and did, but at the last second, I moved slightly to the left, as I thought my wing mirror would hit his, I brushed the kerb. Slowly next time, slowly ( :laughing: :laughing:!!!).