Trans Arabia /S. Jones of Aldridge:A few pics

ronhawk:
Hello Scribe , well I am pleased to meet you if only in words ,you dad Scouse drove a Mac in Jeddah his name was on the front he was an OK guy and I got to know him well , the Photo is one that I took up the North Creek , we had a JP 14 sailing boat what we all plaid a part in making sea worthy repairing it on our days off in the yard back at the villa in Jeddah and then enjoying the fruits of our labour up the North creek on our day off John long had some good times there I remember us having BBQ chicken garnished with red source it was an inland sea and Scouse was in the boat quite a lot all though it was very hot we all got burned thinking the sea breeze would keep us cool , Ron

Hi ronhawk and thanks for the reply. Blimey who new John had a nautical bent? :smiley: That’s a side of him we never got to see back in Cardiff.

Under different circumstances I could well have appeared in some of these pictures. As explained my mum was a state registered nurse. John came home one time and the talk was all of the possibility of my mum getting a full time contract working in Saudi as a nurse. Which would have meant us upping sticks and setting off on our travels again.

With my little sister (Johns daughter) still a babe in arms my mum decided she preferred the security of the NHS so we never went in the end. I’m sure I would have loved it. Even as an 8/9 year old trucks were in my blood.

Fast forwards about 20 years, to this photo of me and two mates stopped on a French motorway en route to Italy, carrying bulk feeds.

tyredout.jpg

I’m the one in the distastefully coloured shorts and vest. The lad in the foreground reaching for his tea is Dean Broad. Son of Yoyo Broad. But I didn’t know any of this at the time.

Its only after reading this thread I realised our dads could well have played out a similar scene all those years ago in Saudi. Small world eh?

Sincerely, thanks again for this thread.