CPC home study notes. Advice please

Hi guys
Just some advice please.
The wife is home studing for the road transport cpc, she has the 3 current David Lowe books and downloaded past exam & case study papers but I’ve seen on here that some of you recommend the EOS student study notes (priced at 62.00) on their site there is no info as to what is in the pack.
Could anyone advise what you get ?
Cheers in advance.

PPH:
Hi guys
Just some advice please.
The wife is home studing for the road transport cpc, she has the 3 current David Lowe books and downloaded past exam & case study papers but I’ve seen on here that some of you recommend the EOS student study notes (priced at 62.00) on their site there is no info as to what is in the pack.
Could anyone advise what you get ?
Cheers in advance.

Hi PPH,

The EOS CPC student notes contain all the info needed by a student wishing to obtain the Operator CPC qualification.
The EOS student notes are widely held amongst tutors as being the industry standard, but there are other notes available.

The EOS student notes can be used as stand alone notes for self-teaching, but in my experience (I’m an ex- CPC tutor) the exam pass rate is much higher for those people who attend classes.
When I taught this subject (about 10yrs ago,) many of the home-study brigade ended up in the classroom after thinking that they could self-teach a subject that has exams that are as difficult as ‘A’ level exams.

:bulb: In all fairness, I’d say that it’s not impossible to self-teach Operator CPC, but it must be balanced by saying that self-teaching can be an expensive mistake for some people.

Cheers Mate,

Hello mate.
I’m taking my exams tomorrow and bought the whole Shibang from eos a couple of months back. I also managed to get on a 2 and a half week long classroom course running up to today.

I spent a good couple of months with my head in the home study book. And it did really help, but getting on a course in a classroom does wonders. Because you can talk through certain things and get stuff cleared up much easier, it’s not all about trucks and drivers hours, its financial conduct, business tax, vehicle costings, driver scheduling. All of this can be learnt but it’s much easier when you can talk it through, I’m feeling confident for my tests.

If you do buy the home study it won’t be a waste of money, although I now have two because I got another folder on day one of the course lol. Just make sure that you buy the notes once they have been updated, as eos waits for the exam to pass then updates the folder with any changes in exchange rates or legislation in preparation for the next exams

Good luck

Going back a few years I did home study and failed the case study. As said it’s the equivalent of an A level so don’t scrimp get proper tuition. I never bothered trying again but if I had I would definitely recommend a classroom session or 2.

I have my Case Study exam later today and you lot haven’t cheered me up at all…

Oh well, c’est la vie

As a man with professional qualifications on here (that’s me btw) my advice would be to self study in order to grasp the main concept of what it is your studying, but then enroll onto a classroom base course as you can ask any questions to a lecturer and he can help you understand anything you are uncertain of. Also it is possible to self study but then like the Open University degrees, it is much harder knowing what is important to spend time on and what is not so important. I would suggest doing both to give you the highest chance of success. Good luck with it.

UKtramp:
As a man with professional qualifications on here …

What qualifications do you have?

I think you have left it a little late for myself and Hinton as we took our exams today see above

You may be right for others though

UKtramp:
As a man with professional qualifications on here (that’s me btw) my advice would be to self study in order to grasp the main concept of what it is your studying, but then enroll onto a classroom base course as you can ask any questions to a lecturer and he can help you understand anything you are uncertain of. Also it is possible to self study but then like the Open University degrees, it is much harder knowing what is important to spend time on and what is not so important. I would suggest doing both to give you the highest chance of success. Good luck with it.

Quite true, but there also another advantage… in the classroom setting, tutor led discussions on difficult topics can work wonders because each member of the class has differing strengths and weaknesses, so the class can often end up helping each other.

Lots of advantages to a class led course. Books cannot explain a subject in a different way if you do not grasp what you are reading.

Used to be a rite of passage for an o/d, and I know plenty, myself included, who studied whilst in work and at home, and then sat the exam at a local college. It is not that big a deal.

Janos:
Used to be a rite of passage for an o/d, and I know plenty, myself included, who studied whilst in work and at home, and then sat the exam at a local college. It is not that big a deal.

I’m going to make an assumption here, “used to be a right of passage” I’m guessing you and your peers took the exam over ten years ago.

Everyone I had spoken to on the lead up to my exams said the same thing “I wouldn’t pass that exam now, it’s Change a lot. It’s all red tape and regulations, I’m glad I did it back in the day”

Like I say I’m only assuming, but maybe it wasn’t a big deal because back then more than just 46% of candidates passed, because back then there was half the amount of crap to learn.

In my humble opinion of course, I’m sure I’ll get verbally battered by the oldies.

good_friend:

UKtramp:

I think you have left it a little late for myself and Hinton as we took our exams today see above

How do you reckon you did? It was bloody nails in my eyes, confident about R1, maybe scraped the R2 but I’m not as confident lol

Janos:

No it is not that big a deal to some, but to others it would be quite daunting to study on your own. A mixture of the two methods is a proven method for most. It is how University courses work.

Hinton:

Janos:

I’m going to make an assumption here, “used to be a right of passage” I’m guessing you and your peers took the exam over ten years ago.

Everyone I had spoken to on the lead up to my exams said the same thing “I wouldn’t pass that exam now, it’s Change a lot. It’s all red tape and regulations, I’m glad I did it back in the day”

Like I say I’m only assuming, but maybe it wasn’t a big deal because back then more than just 46% of candidates passed, because back then there was half the amount of crap to learn.

In my humble opinion of course, I’m sure I’ll get verbally battered by the oldies.

Hinton, you are correct there as I passed the operators CPC, national, when I was 17 years old and retook it in 2015 as I needed the International part, and passed by the way!, whether it was the 30 years apart or as you say more to learn the modern equivalent was much harder IMO, Pete

Hinton:

good_friend:

UKtramp:

How do you reckon you did? It was bloody nails in my eyes, confident about R1, maybe scraped the R2 but I’m not as confident lol

I wouldn’t worry too much. I took mine in December last year and I was convinced I’d cocked the R2 up but I passed. I think it’s difficult to judge where you’re picking up marks especially when the pressure is on.

My instructor sent me June’s questions recently and I nearly had a heart attack as they were awful IMHO

Yesterday’s I thought was slightly easier but it had traps in it. The guy had already taken 3 lots of reduced daily rest and 1 reduced weekly so was glad I saw that

The standing charges of 43k threw me as it’s really not enough to pay 10 drivers (cue the ‘soap box’ crew) so the figures for charging didn’t make a lot of sense

TBH I have no idea whether I passed or not. Just glad it’s over :smiley: :smiley:

BTW - I did the R1 section a couple of months ago on a PC so I know I have passed that. Didn’t they offer this to you? I thought it might reduce the pressure taking 1 exam at a time

I Recently Took (And Passed The August Exam Series) With The Chartered Institute Of Logistics And Transport. They Were Expensive But The Course Was Well Run And All Study Notes Were Provided. (Along With Lunch Every Day!!!)

They Have An Exam 6 Times A Year And Are Slightly Different To The OCR Examination In That There Is No Multiple Choice, Just Two Papers Of 20 Short Answer Questions And 4 Long Answer Questions, 3 Of Which Are To Be Attempted.

A Lot Of The Exam Is Common Sense, Though As Said Above, Being Able To Ask An Instructor Or Someone That Has Sat The Papers To Clarify Anything That Is Not Understood Is A Big Advantage.

Hope You Guys Got On Alright.

I Recently Took (And Passed The August Exam Series) With The Chartered Institute Of Logistics And Transport. They Were Expensive But The Course Was Well Run And All Study Notes Were Provided. (Along With Lunch Every Day!!!)

They Have An Exam 6 Times A Year And Are Slightly Different To The OCR Examination In That There Is No Multiple Choice, Just Two Papers Of 20 Short Answer Questions And 4 Long Answer Questions, 3 Of Which Are To Be Attempted.

A Lot Of The Exam Is Common Sense, Though As Said Above, Being Able To Ask An Instructor Or Someone That Has Sat The Papers To Clarify Anything That Is Not Understood Is A Big Advantage.