Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

IronEddie:

dancompression:

IronEddie:
Always feel electric vehicles are just shifting the pollution away not getting rid of it.

They’re moving the power source from the on board combustion engine to the grid, which is powered by an increasing amount of renewables (wind and solar) at a decreasing price.

Dipper_Dave:
wind turbines in the front grill to provide charging.

The law of the conservation of energy says this will not work. Any charge such turbines produce will be negated by increase aero drag.

To me it would make more sense to start with smaller vehicles like 3.5t and 7.5t delivery vehicles which do more low speed low range work. Nissan already have a small van e-NV200. I have seen them in Leeds.

True we are slowly moving to generate all electricity via green or nuclear means. But what about the construction of the vehicle itself? The petrochemicals used to create the plastics used extensively in the vehicles construction for example, the construction of the batteries themselves isn’t green either.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The vehicle would need to be constructed anyway? The ony difference is that it will be constructed in the future using renewable energy and it won’t burn fossil fuels. It’s a net reduction in CO2.

The “you have to make electricity to charge it” argument doesn’t stack up either. Fossil fuel power stations are still way more efficient at producing electricity than an internal combustion engine ever will be at producing energy. Currently, we’re cutting out the burning of diesel and petrol part.