PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:

bob-lad:
hia dean great pics as usual the marathon looks like redpath dorman long and the erf bulker could be febrys a big firm at the time the freightline scanias used to backload of us at bowies with kraft oils cheers rob

Thanks Rob for the information. :wink:

albion1938:
Victaulic Foden. Unusual company name ■■
My late brother worked for Victaulic in the factory when he moved to Huntingdon on the new towns scheme in 1963. He hated the job as he was a driver but no driving jobs available so it it was a stopgap until he got back on the lorries. IIRC they manufactured big rubber grommets and pipe fittings, don’t know whether they had any other locations but that Foden is Cambridgeshire registered.
Bernard

Thanks for the comment Bernard ! :smiley:
Have I missed something here 38 ton on 5 axles was fine, but didn’t come in to the UK till 83. Spread axle got you an extra ton payload.
We ran close running tandems at Hercocks by Trailor (F), although we did run some close spaced triaxle French not sure of the make on Richard Ford, not sure of the rating but they followed great.

Tranconfred:
The victaulic foden came from there hitchin dept would be delivering to drainage systems depts.

Cheers “Transconfred” for the input. :wink: :smiley:

pete smith:
Hi Dean,
The Octopus bulker is Lionel T Phillips, you could see their yard off the M5 going south just before jcn 23 if I remember correctly,

pete smith:
Forgot to add this :blush: , the Guy 8 legger I’m sure it is one of John Hills from just off Jcn 10 M6 near Walsall, it has a Walsall registration also and Hills used to have greedy boards fitted to back load coke to one of the local foundries, they also ran ERF’s, Cheer’s Pete

Thanks Pete for the info on those trucks ! :wink: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

HRS:

ERF-NGC-European:
This Paul Gee picture is most interesting to me, in that it appears to have a Trailor Savoyard tilt trailer, built in France. I notice that it has the tandem spread-axle bogie rather than the tandem close-axle bogie favoured by the French at the time ('70s). Can any of our French bretherin from the ‘Saviem’ thread shed any light on what possible legislation or preference might have led to this oddity?

Robert

Hi Robert, As know one has come back to you let me “have a go”.
Late 70’s saw a real dilemma in weights, axle specification and road fund licience for hauliers in the uk.
As you know standard was 32 ton 2+2 ( 2axlw artic + 2 axle trailer) it could then go 36 ton 3+2 or 2+3 and 38 ton on 3+3.
As trailers tend to outlast units by about 4 to 1 it was cheaper to upgrade a trailer but a close coupled tandem could take a forward axle the wide spread could not, due to turning circle restrictions ,That still apply to day.
Add this to pin lengh, short , med, long and you can see the issues arising.
What unit to buy ? 6x2 tag, mid lift, twin steer, double drive, or in the case of Volvo at one time, self steer.
Add all this to a little axle derating from the government and overall spacing between wheels for the uk bridge requirements and weights.
I am sure the answer to your question is in here somewhere.
A very difficult time for the hauliers and a bl**dy nightmare for a young’ish truck salesman, cheers Harvey

Thanks mate! I do appreciate the legislation dilemma at the UK end - indeed I used to pull tandem spreadies about myself back in the day. And of course there are legion photos around showing UK operated Trailor Savoyade tilts but not French ones. My question was about what French legislation mitigated against them following our example and spreading the axles :wink: .

Cheers, Robert

Thanks Harvey & Robert for the input. :smiley: :laughing: