Raise/drop air when loading- waste of time?

When I won’t be able to keep the ignition on for self levelling, for loading I have been raising the air on the unit first so that it doesn’t squat down so badly. Similarly if I’m being unloaded I’ll drop it first before the weight gets taken off.

I’ve been doing this because it seems sensible, but am I actually being “kind” to the unit, or have I just had a failure of understanding air suspension and am simply fannying about?

If you don’t have a pool table in the back you’re just fannying around! :slight_smile:

Volvo units are a pain, I’ve never mastered it yet. If you leave it alone it gradually raises itself so when you’re wheeling cages out the slope gets steeper.
I’ve yet to find a setting where it stays the same.

sent using smoke signals

mick.mh2racing:
Volvo units are a pain, I’ve never mastered it yet. If you leave it alone it gradually raises itself so when you’re wheeling cages out the slope gets steeper.
I’ve yet to find a setting where it stays the same.

sent using smoke signals

if it’s an FH4 double tap any button on the air suspension wander lead when the ignition is off for self leveling, not sure if it works on a classic.

V3, with ignition on, press the level button so the green light comes on, take keys out of ignition, as long as the light is still on, the truck will stay level as long as there is air in the tanks.

slowlane:
When I won’t be able to keep the ignition on for self levelling, for loading I have been raising the air on the unit first so that it doesn’t squat down so badly. Similarly if I’m being unloaded I’ll drop it first before the weight gets taken off.

I’ve been doing this because it seems sensible, but am I actually being “kind” to the unit, or have I just had a failure of understanding air suspension and am simply fannying about?

As far as I know, the air suspension is not in any way subject to exceptional wear or damage during loading or unloading.

Putting aside the issue of tippers (where dumping the air is said to contribute to stability), the only time I have adjusted the air suspension for loading/unloading is to either level with the dock, or upon request to provide a sort of extra “gravity assist” for rolling the load on or off (i.e. for the opposite effect than the one you’re trying to achieve).

So I’d say generally you’re just fannying about. :laughing:

Oooo…

Dejas vu.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148413

Thanks everyone, seems like I’m fannying as usual!

I might try and work out how to make it self level without the ignition on, or I might just shrug and leave it.

Finally sorted mine. Ignition off, press green button and it’ll stay where it was.
I think.

sent using smoke signals