Speeding up when being overtaken

Can someone explain why more and more trucks are speeding up when being overtaken. It happens nearly everyday. I am not speeding at the time, my truck is set at 56mph, you come up to a truck quickly and move to overtake and when you draw level they foot down and either trap you or move off. I just don’t get it.

And also at a drop on Friday I walked up to a driver sheeting up and asked him if he knew where a toilet was. He answer was " Yes" and then just grinned at me. After a pause and him obviously wanting me to ask again to please his small.minded ■■■■ brain I walked off. At 54 years old I’m tired of this ■■■■.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Don’t worry about it too much mate, but I do know what you mean.
It all started when being a complete d/head with no skill (mostly) or finesse or manners, no longer disqualified people from obtaining a Class1 licence,… aka dumbing down the job from what it was, to what it is. :bulb:
There is nothing today to stop them getting through the net unfortunately.

P Stoff:
Can someone explain why more and more trucks are speeding up when being overtaken. It happens nearly everyday. I am not speeding at the time, my truck is set at 56mph, you come up to a truck quickly and move to overtake and when you draw level they foot down and either trap you or move off. I just don’t get it.

And also at a drop on Friday I walked up to a driver sheeting up and asked him if he knew where a toilet was. He answer was " Yes" and then just grinned at me. After a pause and him obviously wanting me to ask again to please his small.minded ■■■■ brain I walked off. At 54 years old I’m tired of this [zb].

I had a Stobart driver last week joining the M1 down a slip road, I moved out to the second lane to allow him on and the idiot sat on his limiter with me on the outside of him and I was on my limiter so I could not get past him and had a truck up my backside so I couldn’t slow down to get back in the left lane. I was fuming as I stayed like this for at least 4 miles before I could get past. Absolute ■■■■ brains some of these ignorant gets.

P Stoff:

And also at a drop on Friday I walked up to a driver sheeting up and asked him if he knew where a toilet was. He answer was " Yes" and then just grinned at me. After a pause and him obviously wanting me to ask again to please his small.minded ■■■■ brain I walked off. At 54 years old I’m tired of this [zb].

think the world is full of farkwits now - neighbour has just been havng some alterations to his house, we watched as the roofer tacked the felt on the wrong way round (lower bit was layered on top of the upper bit) we pointed out the mistake and he argued it didn’t matter as the slates would shed the water. :unamused:
Seriously, I reckon there are more morons about now then ever before.

UKtramp:
I had a Stobart driver last week joining the M1 down a slip road, I moved out to the second lane to allow him on and the idiot sat on his limiter with me on the outside of him and I was on my limiter so I could not get past him and had a truck up my backside so I couldn’t slow down to get back in the left lane. I was fuming as I stayed like this for at least 4 miles before I could get past. Absolute ■■■■ brains some of these ignorant gets.

That does my nut in too andI usually I pull back in as soon as I feel I have an inch to spare.

In fairness these guys are very polite as they usually flash me back in very vigorously once I indicate and start to move over, maybe even swerving to make extra room.

I thank them with a L,R,L and they acknowledge with another series of flashes and from what I can make out in my mirrors they often give a very large wave as well.

So contrary to first impressions they are not mindless, selfish, brain dead D.Heads.

UKtramp:

P Stoff:

You have no need to worry about what is behind you as you have already been there, by sticking it out there for 4 miles and getting wound up makes you as bad as the stobrat driver, show some professionalism in future and be the better man instead of another numpty out on the highway.

^^^ yep, staying out there for umpteen miles or struggling past and then cutting in close to teach an idiot a lesson only lowers you to their level, though it is understandable, it’s the sheer ignorance of these people that annoys.

There’s also an argument that you are better off with a half wit in front, where you can keep an eye on them.

I agree it’s a shame that so many ignorant incompetent aggressive half wits are now to be found in lorries, from car and van drivers you expect stupid and if it doesn’t happen then it’s a pleasing bonus, we have to accept that the ‘assume stupid’ now applies to an increasing number of those behind the wheel of lorries too.

I hear what you are saying in spades.

If traffic conditions have changed I do wait a bit to see if there is any change to the driver’s speed, then if I’m sure that’s his lot I move out. A Howdens Joinery driver springs to mind as someone with no idea what is going on around them, looking idly at my cab as I try in vain to get past him, even gesturing to him in a ‘what are you playing at’ style only elicited a reply gesture of ‘well you should get a move on then’. I gave up and tucked in behind him.

Lorry drivers are now as crap at driving as car drivers, the quicker you get used to this concept, the sooner you can attain inner peace.

cheersdrive:
Lorry drivers are now as crap at driving as car drivers, .

Yeh exactly, and those that are, ARE actually car drivers that have managed to get a Class 1, …nothing more.

They have no concept of the fact that you HAVE to adapt your driving style between a car and a truck, so they do actually drive their truck like a car.
Which is easy, because driving a modern truck is like a car. :bulb:

As I said, they now can (and do) get through the skill net, unlike the old days when there was a world of difference between a truck and a car.

At that time these pathetic type arse wipes would not get past the first couple of days of learning.

Btw…No, I don’t think we should all go back to Atkinsons with DB gearboxes either… before anybody jumps in :unamused: .

The way things have declined with some drivers I think lies in the training.
Bearing in mind these cretins are actually in charge of 44 tonnes at 56 mph :open_mouth: with all the potential carnage that can bring, I reckon a theory course covering empathy with other drivers, courtesy on the road in general, and general stuff like the subject of the o/p, not forgetting my favourite…Etiquette while overtaking other trucks/understanding the length of your truck/space awareness.

At least this would be a road in, to getting back some values with drivers, to make them better at their jobs.

Job sorted by Rob…your’e welcome. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Juddian has it… Keep the idiot’s in your view. (Not too close though :wink: )

Hurryup&wait:

UKtramp:

That does my nut in too andI usually I pull back in as soon as I feel I have an inch to spare.

In fairness these guys are very polite as they usually flash me back in very vigorously once I indicate and start to move over, maybe even swerving to make extra room.

I thank them with a L,R,L and they acknowledge with another series of flashes and from what I can make out in my mirrors they often give a very large wave as well.

So contrary to first impressions they are not mindless, selfish, brain dead D.Heads.

:laughing:

It don’t find it happens that often, but if they’re running nearly at my speed I tend to just sit back and match them for a bit- the next hill or two will either let me past or let them pull away and I can try again later if I catch them up again.

The only time I’ll speed up when being overtaken is if traffic is light and I want a run at the next hill.

Eco roll is to blame for some of this.

weeto:
You have no need to worry about what is behind you as you have already been there, by sticking it out there for 4 miles and getting wound up makes you as bad as the stobrat driver, show some professionalism in future and be the better man instead of another numpty out on the highway.

I ought to add to this that I wasn’t wound up to the point that I wouldn’t pull back in, I was not keeping out in spite, I was held out by this idiot, I had a driver that had caught me up who was behind me and when I slowed down to pull back in, the Stobart driver slowed down to virtually my match my pace, he essentially held me out. I have had this before with some drivers. I was not certain he was doing this on purpose, he may have thought I had the additional speed to get past him but I didn’t. I was not happy by the time I got past him and if I was the vindictive type, I could have reported him or never flash another Stobart driver in again. I consider myself more professional than to do either of the latter.

If someone kindly moves out to let me in I will always allow them to pass me and then pass if I have the speed. Most of our trucks are limited between 52 and 56, more seem to be the lower figure. It is frustrating when other truck drivers cannot use the same etiquette, just because a fleet spec crate is beside you it doesn’t mean you can ignore it’s mere existence. I’m thinking of getting a chrome SUPER badge and Velcro it to my grille! :laughing:

bald bloke:

Very much this ^^^ if I’m using the ppc function on the Actros I drive I watch my mirrors like a hawk as the computer will cut the power and let you lose 4 mph because it knows there’s a downhill section coming that your inertia will carry you over.

I watch the mirrors because if there’s a lorry close behind me I can easily intervene with the throttle pedal and maintain the same speed I was doing when said lorry caught me.

I also only let it go downhill when I haven’t got another lorry overtaking me, if there is one I’ll use the exhaust brake to keep it bang on the 86kph that I set the cruise at. Simple really, and saves animosity between drivers.

the maoster:

bald bloke:

Very much this ^^^ if I’m using the ppc function on the Actros I drive I watch my mirrors like a hawk as the computer will cut the power and let you lose 4 mph because it knows there’s a downhill section coming that your inertia will carry you over.

I watch the mirrors because if there’s a lorry close behind me I can easily intervene with the throttle pedal and maintain the same speed I was doing when said lorry caught me.

I also only let it go downhill when I haven’t got another lorry overtaking me, if there is one I’ll use the exhaust brake to keep it bang on the 86kph that I set the cruise at. Simple really, and saves animosity between drivers.

That’s the same sort of thing I’d do but unfortunately there’s a group of drivers who gotta get ASAP regardless… !

Or shock horror I’ll override eco roll by putting it in manual to keep speed more constant :open_mouth:

Two thoughts on this subject: limiters and laziness.

Drivers are lazy and want the lorry to do the work for them, and think that their testes will blow up if they spend longer than 30 seconds off the limiter. Both of these things combined mean that you get plenty of lorries causing you to take unnecessary action in order to compensate for their laziness or their wish to keep their testes intact. As other have said, a small intervention is all that is required from the perpetrator.

bald bloke:

the maoster:

bald bloke:

That’s the same sort of thing I’d do but unfortunately there’s a group of drivers who gotta get ASAP regardless… !

Or shock horror I’ll override eco roll by putting it in manual to keep speed more constant :open_mouth:

One of my colleagues explained this all to me and said I should use common sense.
Ive been through all the menus on my dash display but cant find the common sense function anywhere. Any suggestions?

I’ve sensed that ecoroll thingy trying its luck when forced to sit behind the wheel of one our euro6 Dafs, can’t say drive the things cos half the time the bloody lorry takes over anyway…which begs another question does the lorry share the dock with you when it’s an at fault accident?

I used to use Irish overdrive as much as the next man in the days of Gardners that were flat out at 48/52mph, but i’ll choose when i’m going to coast thanks all the same, cos thats what ecoroll is bloody coasting, if me next mule has that dubious feature it’ll be getting locked in manual like all me lorries since 2005 and the ecoroll can do one.