Whats it like to drive in the USA?

Franglais:
Check out Pat Haslar’s posts. The USA is no place to fall ill.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Very true.
Micky B I fear you have the same dream that I amongst others had in my earlier days, I had seen too many truck driving movies and wanted to become a US truck driver, a huge mistake my friend :open_mouth:
You can’t just come here and become a truck driver, your UK LGV licence means nothing here so you need to take a test, you also need to have residency status (Green card) which is not easy to get, You need a very close relative who is a USC, mostly your wife is the best bet. You will wait up to 2 years here to get the needed document. Once you get your green card and US CDL A licence you will then need to find a job, most companies treat drivers like crap and pay by the mile, drivers can sit around in truck stops for days with no pay, the health situation is another as mentioned above. You will have to pay huge weekly premiums to an insurance company which will drop you like a stone if you are really sick. I found out I have a very rare blood cancer last November, my hospital bills so far are just under half a million dollars and rising, there is no way my company health insurance will pay this but happily due to the rarity of my cancer I am still treated and have not had to pay a cent, every single treatment I get is an experiment and a way for doctors to actually find a cure one day, I am actually a celebrity in the medical society. If I had just any serious disease that was not so rare I would be left to die and become bankrupt. I am now taking an experimental drug that virtually keeps me alive after spending the first 4 months on chemo that nearly killed me. Due to this wonder drug … Which by the way has a cost of $16k a month, I am still allowed to drive for a living and passed my DOT physical with flying colours.
I am in a way very lucky to be employed by one of the very few transport companies in this country that treats it’s employees fairly and the senior management support me. If I were employed by another I would be in trouble.

Micky B, if you still want to drive in the USA be our guest :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: