An email to the agency

That companies both client and agency “Try it on” as much as they do - reflects more upon the general lack of “making waves” people they get on their books… If everyone objected and kicked up a stink to their practices all the time - then they’d dare not try it on. Alas, as with the Newspapers though - What they end up paying out to sporadic claimants - is more than made up for by those people who’ve not got the time to make trouble, and “let it go” when a single weeks’ work is unpaid.

It’s a crying shame that “Modern Management” in all lines of businesses is actually “Staff Game Theorist” (i.e. who can “play” the staff the best to get the most out of them for the least amount of pay) and of course plain and simple “Politicians” who are expected to lie all the time - to motivate people to do stuff they wouldn’t be doing otherwise.

“Hey John, Bloggs & Son have asked for you yet again by name this week. Tell you what: Because it’s bank holiday weekend, I’ll bung you an extra £50 if you agree to take on this Saturday PM shift at Mr Killem’s Farm again. I know you don’t like it and all, but hey - that’s a potential flat shift +£50 for a job I’m sure won’t take you more than five minutes when you get there”

Turns up at Farm for 17:30 start on saturday, end up being booked off at the 8 hour mark Sunday 02:30am, spending an impromptu night out, and then doing a 15 hour shift following a full 15 hours off starting 17:30 sunday, running well into BH monday…

Pay slip arrives a week later… 8x£10ph, £50 bonus paid. Total: £130.

Then they wonder why we don’t want to work there again.