In works time or in your own time

Question for trampers.

On a Monday morning (or whatever day your first day in is) do you load your truck with your stuff for the week such as any food, clothes, etc etc in works time or your own time?

So if you got told to start at 6am would you come in at 6am and load your stuff as your first job, or would you come at half 5 or 5:45 or whatever and do it before your shift?

I know some lads at my place come in on a Sunday evening and do it then. Personally my feeling towards it is that if I was on days if I was told to start at 6am then I’d come in to start at 6. So as a tramper why should you come in early and do it in your own time when it’s something you have to do to be able to be out all week to carry out your role and do deliveries for the company.

I always do it on works time,also when I’ve finished. We’ve got to walk round to the office and get the keys and that’s not near the car park so you have to bring the motor round to get all the junk:D you’ll need.

I live about three miles away from our yard and due to transport issues (wife having car during the week), I come in on a Sunday so I’m not messing the better half about to much. The last thing she wants to do is wait there while I be all my stuff out of the car.

So for me it is a personal choice to load my stuff into the cab on a Sunday. If I had my own car then I would do it on a Monday when I started work.

6am start I roll in at 5.45am, take a look at the Mrs before I go and thank my lucky stars I am away all week!!!

UKtramp:
6am start I roll in at 5.45am, take a look at the Mrs before I go and thank my lucky stars I am away all week!!!

And if she sees that you will get a kicking lol

For me it depends.
If I’ve been off for a week I’ll pop to the yard on Sunday and pack all my stuff away neatly.
But if I’ve just had the weekend off I don’t have a lot to muck about with so I do it during the time my cards in for my walk around checks.
I know some will think it’s stupid, but I find it far less stressful knowing that all I have to do is turn up and do the job. No messing around.

Works time,…same as when I take a shower at night.
Even if I do come in on a Sat/Sun after being off on holiday or whatever I will book extra time for it at beginning of week.

I get no concessions so it works both ways as far as I am concerned.

I start on a Sunday, drive to yard, put card in, then put crap in truck and stow it away, on Friday drive car over to truck put crap into car, take car back to car park, back to truck, grab timesheet and all receipts, remove card, add 15 minutes to timesheet get paid go home.

Colin_scottish:

UKtramp:

And if she sees that you will get a kicking lol

Maybe the 4 on 4 off driver moves in :laughing:

The same as Rob…meal breaks for me include queuing for food, eating it at a leisurely pace, then setting off…which basically means an hour for every break. I always take 11 off, so shower time and food time is at my pace, not theirs…i once said to a planner…do you time yourself for dinner…do you time yourself taking a shower…a glum look on his face said it all…so i told him neither do i
As for going in on a sunday… a fellow driver did just that, turned up monday morning to find his truck was on the continent with all of his equipment and food etc, including the fresh stuff in the side locker, which was rotten on his return…he did have a nice week off on full pay though…personally, i turn up monday morning, and then put my stuff in the truck at my leisure and their time.

AFAIC as soon as I’m in the yard I expect to be paid for my time there, wether I’m loading my stuff in the cab or doing checks

Yes I do anything like that in work time once my card is in or before it’s taken out.

I was late for my first drop on Monday morning and the 50 minute delay on the M6 didn’t seem relevant and I was asked why it took me so long to leave the yard. I said because that’s how long it takes. But I know some drivers come in th day before and do it all so they are ready.

For a 6am start for example I’m in at 0530, get a coffe from the machine, stand in the smoking shelter talking crap with the other lads, go to the office at 0550 to pick my keys and paperwork up, pop my card in at 6 on the dot, have another ■■■ and a coffee as I pretend to do my checks (I already know it’s ok as it hasn’t moved since I parked it), then at 0615 I drive it to the car park to get my gear out of my car boot. Rinse and repeat in reverse for the Friday.

Never entertained intentionally getting to the yard early.

If my start time is 6am, that’s when I turn up. Get given my jobs, paperwork, keys etc. then make my over to the wagon for about ten past and then do a manual entry to cover the time (we are paid off the card). Anything work related in on their time.