Going independent

There’s been quite a few questions on here about setting up and working for yourself, it might be worth half an hour of your time to trawl through the last six months and look at some of the threads.

18tonners are not my area, vans, 7.5s, artics not Class2, but the principle is the same. Loadfinder sites take the profit that you as a haulier should have and now you may be competing against some of the East EUs that can operate at a lower rate than you can. There OK just if you really need a load back and the one you had line up goes Pete Tong, but not to base your entire operation on.

The only way to do it is to actually find a customer(s) yourself, go direct to a manufacturer is the holy grail. I would suggest that you look at getting work lined up first.

I don’t wish to sound rude, are you up to date with the legal requirements, do you have sufficient money for the O License, sufficient money to run a truck for at least 60 days with no money coming in. Are you a CPC holder or are you contrcting that out? Thje fact that you don’tknow that you can’t make a proper living out of the loadfinder sites, suggests that you lack experience.

I started with a van and expanded from that, and I find it difficult to say to people don’t do it, because I managed it. BUT, generally speaking getting a truck’s a fast track to the poor house.