PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

coomsey:
Hi Pete, don’t recall any later than J reg n only Foden, would that be right?
Ideal for tipper work most lorries I drove never went anywhere near the passenger seat. N you could get to nearside window always a game on hot days on the road.Plenty of room for flask n snap.
Was there any payload gain? Paul

We had several J reg tippers but they were all short wheelbase 24 ton eight leggers. There were two J reg tankers, NRB 174 J and ORA 310 J, all the rest were long wheelbase thirty tonners on K plates. Several of the thirty tonners were recabbed with S40 Motor Panels cabs to give them a longer life as the half cabs rotted badly, plus there were insurance issues with there only being one door in case of an accident. I took most of them to North riding Garages at Middleton St George for recabbing and engine overhaul while the cabs were off. Payload was about the same as the plastic S39 cabbed ones I think, around 21 tonnes. They did plenty of distance work, Isle of Wight and back in the day and Truro, Scotland, Crediton and down into Kent were regular runs. Of course during winter the sugar factory at Felsted in Essex had a large tonnage of limestone daily so they were kept busy on that.

Pete.