I couldn't work this out on paper logs

I have often mentioned the two eight hour breaks being legal, I have never been able to work out how they are calculated but yesterday was a prime example.
I left my home Monday night at 10.00pm, came down to NYC and hooked to a loaded tank for Scranton PA, they had no room for the product and I was told to stay there if I wanted to be paid detention, rather that drive to a truck stop and take 10 hours off. Iwent into sleeper mode for 8 hours, they pumped the sugar out in minutes at 5.00pm, I checked my log to see what was available for hours, I had 2 hours ad 50 minutes of driving and the same for duty, which immediately makes the 14 hour rule wrong. I drove back to NYC and with 6 minutes left went back into sleeper mode, I wasn’t required to restart until after 12 hours but just out of curiosity I checked the log after 8 hours, it showed I now had 8 hours and 39 minutes driving and 11 hours 25 minutes duty. I am baffled as to how this works out ? It does however make a mockery of the drivers rules we are all shown.

I’m not an expert on the rules that cause this as I don’t use them, company doesn’t like us using them and it’d push me into working weird hours whereas I prefer to keep my days relatively normal.

However, I think you invoked 2 different rules there. First of all you did a load of work/driving, looks like roughly 8hrs? You then took 8hrs off, this break doesn’t reset anything but it basically stops the 14hr clock, so once you’ve finished the 8hrs you still have the remaining 2hr50 left from when you started.

You then took another break of 8hrs and that kicked off the split sleeper rule which reset your driving clock from the END of your last break which was the 8hrs you had before you got unloaded.

As you were left with 8hrs39 mins driving time left after the 8hr break it must mean you did 2hr21 driving to get from Scranton to NYC, the rest must’ve been on duty.

Yep ! … Still confused :laughing:

yeah those Elogs are a royal pain in the…