Driving part time and yard work

I have recently passed both my class 2 and class 1 but struggling to find information about driving/working hours.

I work in a warehouse 40 hours per week and currently I get the opportunity to drive a 26t weekends with the same company.

My boss currently is observing my hours (looking after my interest) so I don’t go over 90 hours per fortnight but I don’t think this is right as I only drive a lorry part time.

Let’s say that I work 40 hours in the yard Mon-Fri, overtime in the yard on Sat 8hrs and I want to drive on Sunday for 8 hours. Am I able to do this? Can I do it on a fortnightly basis?

All help gladly received.

Basically no

You can really only work one day at the weekend every other week otherwise you’ll not get in the required weekly rest and the hours you do work on the extra day must be compensated by third week.

Welcome to the career where your penalised for wanting extra work !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The yard work is under normal WTD
The driving work is under drivers WTD
The two are separate

Yard work counts as other work for EU tacho regs so cannot count as rest

the 45 hours a week limit is purely for actual driving time

Weekly rest times must be obeyed so as said doing one driving day every other weekend is going to be the limit in general

Thanks for the replies.
I’m still baffled by it all.
I guess I need to study up on these hour’s.

So if I drive a truck for 5 hrs a week and I work 12hr shift in the yard 5 days a week.
That brings my working time and driving time to 65 hrs.
So the following week I can only work 25 hrs at the yard? Or 3 hrs driving and 22hrs in the yard?
This is all new to me.

So if I drive for more than 4 hrs in a week I come under the wtd.
As I understand I don’t have to declare any driving hrs under 4 hrs.

ICharger:
Thanks for the replies.
I’m still baffled by it all.
I guess I need to study up on these hour’s.

So if I drive a truck for 5 hrs a week and I work 12hr shift in the yard 5 days a week.
That brings my working time and driving time to 65 hrs.
So the following week I can only work 25 hrs at the yard? Or 3 hrs driving and 22hrs in the yard?
This is all new to me.

Working timw for yard and working time for driving truck do not get added together because you can fully opt out of the normal WTD so that leaves you with 5 hours for the week

Your biggest issue is conforming to the weekly rest rules where you need at least 45 hours off in one go every other weekend in your case and at least 24 hours off in one go on the other weekends

Please post the yard hours you normally work such as 6am to 6pm and the driving hours you wish to work - that way we can assist you further

Ok, I currently work full time in a yard working 8.00am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
This time of year I get the chance to work 8 hours in the yard on Saturday and on a Sunday
the opportunity to work (Driving) from either 4am to 10am or 8pm until 1am.

Mon-Fri 8am-4.30pm (Yard)
Sat 1pm-9pm (Yard)
Sun 4am-10am or 8pm-1am (Driving)

ICharger:
Ok, I currently work full time in a yard working 8.00am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
This time of year I get the chance to work 8 hours in the yard on Saturday and on a Sunday
the opportunity to work (Driving) from either 4am to 10am or 8pm until 1am.

Mon-Fri 8am-4.30pm (Yard)
Sat 1pm-9pm (Yard)
Sun 4am-10am or 8pm-1am (Driving)

Illegal

There is no 24 or 45 weekly rest

ALSO - there must be at least a 9 hour daily rest between shifts when a driving shift is involved

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
So no mater what, I can only do 90hrs in a fortnight even if I only drive 5 hrs a week.
Sad times.

ICharger:
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
So no mater what, I can only do 90hrs in a fortnight even if I only drive 5 hrs a week.
Sad times.

FORGET the amount of hours you can work as that has nothing to do with anything as the only working hours limits are when you are doing the DRIVING job not the YARD job because you can opt out off all the YARD job WTD hours

Focus only on the rest hours needed weekly and daily and remember that both driving and yard job cannot count as rest

Once you drive on tacho even for a few hours, everything else you do is taken into account as though you drive full time. So if you want to drive you will need to allow for rest and weekly rest periods.

Does that include driving less than 4 hours a week? As I was under the impression that less than 4 hours doesn’t need to be documented.

ICharger:
Does that include driving less than 4 hours a week? As I was under the impression that less than 4 hours doesn’t need to be documented.

I think you will find that is when doing less than 4 hours driving a day under UK domestic regs

Thank you Rog.