davis bros

Hello to all old hands that remember the Davis bros.
I’ve only just read the forum, and I thought I would add a couple of comments!
I drove for davis bros back in 1966,I was based in south devon, I believe there were five of us at the time and there was a driver in charge ( i’me afraid I can’t remember his name, good guy though), he lived at tedstone cottage at Lympstone near Exmouth , and had a bulk fuel tank in his yard, which we filled up from, which was no joke as it was a hand operated pump, which took forever to fill the tank of the Leyland octopus artic I was driving at the time,so I would make sure that I filled up at the depots when I could! the only depots I can recall were Cardiff Warrington and of course Wapping I would mainly load out of Teign valley concrete, or Ambrosia at Lifton . I Would be away nearly all week. everything that was said about the turks in in other posts is quite right as mechanics…Hmm enough said there. My days with davis’s came to an end when police stopped me at Stone in Stafford and were threatening to put the truck of the road (gv9 as I recall?) but I was allowed to carry on down to wapping on the promise of not taking the truck out on the road until the defects were put right (imagine that happening nowdays? I think not) anyway Solly davis wanted me to pick up a load of paper from millwall with the Leyland, but I refused and was given my cards so ended my ‘career’ ha ha, with the Davis bros. as I remember most of the fleet were Blue with some red. another point Iseem to remember was that 27 drivers were done for falsifying log sheets not long after I finished with Davis’s you had to do it you wanted a decent wage, it was a set of log sheets for the ministry, and a set for your pay! Regards to all Jim