Driven to Despair - Report on DVLA medical section

Here’s a quick story about a mate of mine. He passed his class 2 then class 1 last year but obviously as a newbie struggled to get much work with the agency as is often the case, anyway I kind of got him an assessment and interview at my old place who are pretty good at taking on newbies from time to time and he was successful and was given a start.

He was literally in his first week when somehow he fell from the cab when exiting (Merc Actros so high) and knocked himself out for several minutes as he slipped/fell from the top step and was subsequently carted off to A&E.

Now they wasn’t sure if he knocked himself out or passed out just as he was going to climb down and as he was an Hgv driver they wanted to do all the brain scans and MRI scans etc on him and he had to surrender his license.

This unfortunately dragged on for several months and all this time he was on the sick but with only ssp which is pants basically but he did eventually get the all clear from the consultant who in turn wrote a lengthy report to the dvla saying he’s good to go. Unfortunately the dvla weren’t happy and subsequently revoked his Hgv license for 5 years and said they would be lenient and give him his car license back.

I told him to appeal but he’s now worried they might even take his car license away. So he’s forked out all that money now he’s no license for 5 yrs anybody got any ideas please ?