Driven to Despair - Report on DVLA medical section

damoq:
I was half expecting to be making a post on this thread regarding my licence and the DVLA medical group messing me about. But not so.

Was diagnosed with a detached retina at the end of January, operation to repair it done on 6th Feb. Phoned the DVLA to report my condition while still off on the sick. Got a reference number from them to put on the V1V form and was told I had 21 days to return the completed forms. Was told I could still drive trucks in the mean time provided my doctor/consultant/ optician says I was fit to do so. Was due a check up at hospital with consultant a week after notifying DVLA anyway and he says I was fine to drive, plus I booked an appointment with optician for an eye test to double check. Sent forms back to DVLA and within 2 weeks they sent me a letter requesting I go to Specsavers for one of their approved eye exams. Went for the eye test last Monday and everything fine. Got a letter back yesterday from the DVLA saying they were happy with the results and I can keep my hgv licence.

I think I may have been lucky as I never actually had my licence revoked or advised by a professional not to drive. Had this been the case, I reckon it could have been a different outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long you got your HGV license back for? I got mine back for a 3 year period after my detached retina operation and then on another 3 year period after the licence had run out and I had the eye test done at Specsavers.