6 Points for Mobile Phones, 1st March

alix776:
This thread just goes to show how the media can manipulate the public in to being histerical about something that has gone on for years. It’s nothing more than a cash cow. Wonder if it will mean Ptt devices too as they say NO EXCUSES applies to all. As said there’ll be a quick purge to get numbers up an look like it’s being tackled yes holding the phone to your ear us bad the law is poorly written and I think it’ll be poorly implimented

This.^

It’s what’s known as policy creep. They start off with something fairly inoccuous then slowly but surely alter the rules so in the end the law is so draconian that no-one would have supported it to start with. Much like the boiling water/frog analogy. What will be next? Both hands on wheel at all times or it’s driving without due care? Or some other policy that’s been carefully engineered to be socially unacceptable and is easy to “crack down on”?

I support punishing people texting whilst driving 'cos that’s just plain daft, but if talking on the phone is sooooo dangerous why don’t they ban hands free too? It’s because they wouldn’t be able to enforce that nearly as easily as being able to see someone with phone in hand. Smack of cash cow to me.