HGV medical and glaucoma!

Jayen4:
O.K…Update for peter s and Dr Phil…

Caught up with the optician today and asked here about whether I passed the ‘group 2 DVLA test’ and what the specific pressures were in my eyes. She said that there was ‘no problem’ with the group 2 test,that was fine…and the pressures were 23 (right eye) and 25 (left eye). (The ‘cut off’ point is apparently 22.).
This has been referred to my doctor and they referred it to my local hospital for further investigation… I 've been on to the hospital again today and they’ve accepted the referral,but can’t give me any idea on a date ! So that’s no help ! My doctors secretary has tried all around the area,but can’t come up with any date before the end of april !! :open_mouth: She is going to write to the hospital to try to get an early date,given that my licence expires on the 24th of this month…

Also,just after I left the docs,The DVLA called me,to enquire where I’d got to re the hospital eye tests. I explained what was what and asked if they were going to renew my licence or what,given the likely delay . All I got was a rather non committal answer…She asked if I could get a letter from my doctor to confirm whether I am fit to drive commercially or not…my docs secretary has said that she doesn’t think that will be forthcoming. Looks like some arse covering from both of them going on here !! The DVLA lady inferred that they won’t return my licence until they have more info from the hospital tests…so that leaves me in limbo ! Not helpful at all… Any advice here Dr Phil ■■

So,for the moment,it looks like I’m an ‘Ex’ HGV driver !!.. :frowning:

There is no cut-off point as such as everyone is different. What she is referring to is the point where treatment becomes more urgent, where you need to get it sorted. I could never get an answer from any doctor as to what that “cut-off point” is but it does seem to be around 18/19/20 mark. 22 seems too high. Jayen4 your pressure’s are very high, and I say that from experience, your left eye (25) certainly is. If I’m reading your post correctly you’re having trouble getting an appointment so what I would suggest is to go to the eye casualty, because I would, tell them you have sore eyes, headache etc and they should see you. You’ll get an examination and drops to keep you going till you get an appointment. It’s possible to have raised pressures and not have any symptoms so you could have been like this for a while and the longer you have it the greater chance of nerve damage.
I’ve been fortunate in that I live 5 miles from one of the best hospital in the UK, that is the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, with some of the best doctors in the world. The care I received over 19 years was outstanding.
Peter