ERF 'European' (1975)

robert1952:

tiptop495:
Hey, It had been possible to drive the test twice with the Daf, once as an 9 speed without using the splitter
and then as an 13 speed. .

I am really interested in this idea, Eric. I’ve always known that the 13-speed Fuller was just a 9-speed Fuller with overdrive. Was it really tested as a 9-sp with a 13-sp box? You could surely only test certain 13-sp set-ups as 9-sp 'boxes. Did that mean that you used low-range + high range using only upper-split gears, or low-range + lower split gears? This would surely depend upon whether it was an overdrive-top or direct-top 'box. I suppose it was easy with the overdrive 'boxes but what about the under-drive 'boxes (or is that another red-herring? Robert

Hey Robert, yes a 13 is a 9 speed with overdrive or reduction as the RTxx13. Of course it must be done with overdrive boxes, so that you can look what is the difference between direct and
overdrive ones for fuel economy and if it was with a spitter better or not. With a Fuller or for exemple in that time Volvo R and SR 61/62 boxes it would have been possible too. But with Fuller everything would has been possible because of all choices RT/RTO ■■09 and ■■13. which means with the Fullers you can do it in the two ways as an 9 speed overdrive or direct drive, range change and only the overdrives or only the directs. which with the Volvo can’t be done because of lack of an 8 speed overdrive.
Tests are always difficult to compare, that’s why today test are often done with more testers and changing them from vehicle to vehicle. En using a separate reference truck too.
If you do a test, on the motorways mostly easy (but today if there is an overtaking ban as we hier have today, on all
only two section morterays or dualcarriage ways). So wonderfull with no traffic to sit behind a car and caravan or car with horsecard at about 80kph. :imp:
But on route nationals one has two traffic lights and the other can have 5 or 6 maybe !!! so more stop starts what means mor fuel and slower at the end.
In the seventhies it was not so common to get a demotruck, first buy it and test it then policy, but at that time the boss where Father and I worked said, if you want to sell I need one for a week to give it a try. And because he bought more as one, and it were difficult times in the seventies and at lot of new marques tryed our country, with a best seller as the Transcontinental, but thats an other story and one which Scania never will forget and was not happy with it. So, so far,he put it a week on Luxembourg steel work with three different drivers,
three good ones but a heavy foot driver, a normal crareful and a lazy one which only changed gears as the engine felt nearly dead.
But so far I know was never done pitty, we must has been testers in those days Robert. :smiley:
I think we had a good circuit to do it, and even you could test suspension comfort on the Antwerp Liège motorway. :slight_smile:
It would has been a very good thing for Fuller to show its multifunctional choise of non syncro good changing gearboxes.
Because it was the time older drivers came from non good changing and bad non syncro boxes in a world of good syncro’s, so it they heart Fuller is non syncro they were unhappy. But if you was careful with syncro’s they made a good
sence here especially the Volvo which was as a car to drive.

Eric,