ERF 'European' (1975)

3300John:

robert1952:

Carryfast:

robert1952:
The NGC had a choice of 2 ■■■■■■■ NTC and 2 Fuller 'boxes. It needs to be remembered that the NGC didn’t need all sorts of other variations: it was built as an export Euro-spec premium tractor. Everything else was covered by other ERF models: 6x4 units, domestic 32-tonners, heavy-haulage machines etc. You could have these other units with metal MW cabs if you wanted. You could have a B-series, A-series,or M-type (MW-cab). And you could choose an NH250 or even a Gardner if you wanted. So the NGC remained to the end a pretty pure beast, it seems. Almost all the variations were retro-fitted by customers who could have had chosen one of those alternative models. Just because Phil Horridge put a 350 ■■■■■■■■ 13-speed Fuller and coach-diff in his NGC doesn’t necessarily mean it should have been in ERF’s catalogue! Robert

All of that premise obviously collapses when you factor in the fact that it alienates any customer looking for a ‘UK/Euro capable’ ( as opposed to dodgy muddle headed Euro spec ) premium steel cab tractor that makes best use of the torque characteristics of the full ■■■■■■■ range.In which case as I’ve said if anyone wanted even a 335,let alone top range ■■■■■■■ ( preferably NTA ),with decent gearing in the right vehicle ( NGC ) together with the option of 4x2 or 6x4,ERF wasn’t prepared to offer it.IE the demands of the Phil Horridges of this world were exactly the type of customers that the NGC and more importantly ERF needed to meet.The result being that,unlike him,most of them took the easier and more sensible option of walking away from ERF whether new or used and probably to their nearest Euro/Scandinavian import dealer. :bulb: :frowning:

I always thought it was a matter of ‘walking to’ not ‘walking away’! If tomorrow morning I wanted a family estate car with a straight-six 3-litre diesel and a manual 6-sp 'box I wouldn’t go to my local Jaguar dealer because they don’t make 'em: I’d go to BMW because they do! Robert

hiya. around this time were talking about ERF tried to standardise there lorries Albert Dale (EX European owner) who had always run ERFs wanted a LHD unit with a 350 ■■■■■■■ engine 13 speed fuller diff locks and a centre lift axle… ERF refused to built to his speck…hello MAN 362…to which Albert was very pleased with. Berresfords was also impressed . Berresfords had the smaller engine which Dave Scarlet had the first one B ■■? MRF and others followed…
John

Hello John! Albert didn’t sell his NGC until 1980, by which time he could’ve had a LHD B-series unit with 350, diff-locks (standard on NGCs by the way) and a centre lift axle (like the one pictured below). I reckon he just fancied a foreigner! :laughing: Robert